Good BP/W package?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flynn801

New
Reaction score
I'm looking to go with a BP/W set up and wanted to get some feedback on a package at ScubaToys.com. For $375 they offer this:

"The package will start with the Dive Rite Basic Harness, this is a five point Hogarthian harness system consisting of 11 feet (3.6 meter) of two inch (50mm)webbing, four Belt Slides, four loose D-rings, stainless steel belt buckle, a Dive Rite 2 inch padded crotch strap. Then for the Backplate we chose the Dive Rite Aluminum Backplate at 2 lbs it makes this Backplate and Wing as light as they get! For the wing we went with the OxyCheq Mach V Wing that offers 30 lbs of lift! We also toss in two of the Dive Rite Stainless Steel Cam Latch Tank Straps."

Is this a good rig to start with? 30lb lift or 40? I dive mainly in New England.

I am getting back into diving again after 7+ years and was looking to upgrade my BC and read on BP/W rigs. You can easily see the versatility and freedom in this setup.

Being unfamiliar with this type of setup I wanted to ask the ones who dive them.

I appreciate any help.

I think is is an awesome rig and deal...........big fan of Dive Rite

30 lb might be just right if you wear some of your lead on a belt......

I dive dry and keep all my ballast on the BP/W, I have a 36 lb Pioneer wing which works well for me.........

Post more details about your thermal protection and if you use a weight belt - there are many good posts on SB about wing lift requirements....

Hope this helps.......M

How much weight are you going to have on your weight belt? Since you are getting cam straps I assume you will be diving singles. Unless they are steel tanks a stainless steel plate may be a good idea.

If you are a reasonably large man, then I would want 40 lbs lift for new England with a wet suit. Otherwise a good deal Also, if you are not going to be traveling to tropics with that rig, I would want a heavier Stianless steel plate.

Thanks for the quick replies. My weight belt has 26 lbs of lead and I wear a 6mm farmerjohn and step in jacket.

I checked on the upgrade to the stainless plate and it was only 28 bucks. The deluxe Dive Rite harness adds another $10 to the package

No, I'm not a large guy, 5' 9" 180lbs so the 30 looks like the way to go.

I appreciate the responses. I posted the thread about an hour ago and wasn't expecting to see any replies until tomorrow. These are active boards

There may be other opinions on this......

I would stick with the simple harness, unless you have limited flexibility....

With the simple harness, it is easy to replace the webbing when it wears out (and it will).......

A SS BP is a good option for a cold water rig, it helps spread the weight over your back....

M

Thanks for the quick replies. My weight belt has 26 lbs of lead and I wear a 6mm farmerjohn and step in jacket.

I checked on the upgrade to the stainless plate and it was only 28 bucks. The deluxe Dive Rite harness adds another $10 to the package

No, I'm not a large guy, 5' 9" 180lbs so the 30 looks like the way to go.

I appreciate the responses. I posted the thread about an hour ago and wasn't expecting to see any replies until tomorrow. These are active boards

I would still get a 40 lb wing.

The 30 lb wing will be fine unless you're putting all of your weight on the rig, but I suspect you would not notice much difference with the 40 lb wing, so either way you'll be okay. Those oxycheq mach V wings are pretty streamlined, even the bigger ones. Given your weight use you will definitely prefer the steel plate, and I strongly suspect you'll eventually prefer the standard harness instead of the deluxe one, so do yourself a favor and just get that from the start.

At first glance, 26 lbs of weight sounds like alot. You will find the BP/w especially with a ss should cut that down.

Good input from all. Thanks a lot.

I'm excited to put this rig together start using it. I'll definitely go with the SS plate and probably stay with a basic harness. I kind of like the austerity of it. The choice will be between the 30 or the 40 and if the 40 wont add much in the way of bulk to the rig then I'll probably do it as it doesn't add much to the final price and I'll have a few extra pounds of lift.

Thanks again for all the feedback

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom