"Good Buddy" or "Dive Natzi" ??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, DiveMom1. Way too hard on you. -your thread hit a nerve, I dive with family also.

So much for the "can't happen to me" argument.

Obviously a family that cares for him, so why was he back on the boat while you were keeping watch as best you could? If it could happen to him, couldn't it happen to you also? This part is really hard for me to comprehend, again, apologies.

Pretty much what I got from reading this thread.

DiveMom1, sounds like your new support group will be exactly what's needed, kudos to the local dive community. Most of all, brave of you to post. Very inspiring, next time I close the gap between my son and I, I'll think of your thread. -My wife doesn't dive, wouldn't think of pushing her to start. It's just not something she wants to do.

Stay safe.

To be fair.. I really kinda pushed him to dive. Before we married I was an active avid diver.. Saturday was our 10th Aniversary.. so I had waited a while so he wasn't left behind. As the kids [his and mine] got older they looked forward to diving. He only really got hooked once the kids began getting certified.

He took his OW course in Fiji 2003 but never dove again until this past summer. I have to tell you his OW class left a LOT to be desired. My youngest daughter was also certified at the same time but had been exposed to diving her whole life so she had the knowledge they didn't teach.

It was his 3rd post certification dive [this summer] he bolted from the bottom [part of his AOW] He is redoing that AOW later this month. It was a panic reaction and he justifies it as he knows better now.

I just want to make sure he is as safe as possible for himself and learns a lot more about safety before he takes out one of the kids.

I know a really AWESOME instructor that hubby actually respects down in the Monterey area. I will talk to him privately. I would use this guy for everything but standard classes don't work due to distance. Having my hubby respect him is half the battle won from the get go. At least I hope.

:cool3: :balloons: :clapping: :grouphug: :clapping: :happywave:

Good for you! I'm glad you found the strength!

I do have to tell you.. letting go of the $$$$ was pretty hard to do at first. Then I asked myself what the kids lives or safety was worth.

The decision was simple after that! It just means It will take a LOT longer before we can take more classes.. But, well worth the wait!

I do have to tell you.. letting go of the $$$$ was pretty hard to do at first. Then I asked myself what the kids lives or safety was worth.

The decision was simple after that! It just means It will take a LOT longer before we can take more classes.. But, well worth the wait!
:shocked2:
What do you mean, letting go of the $$$$$???? The (expletive held back) would not give you your money back????? Just who are these bozos?!?!? If their service is not up to par, by Golly, you have the right to get your money back!

Who are they? I'll bet enough of us here would give them an earful! Also, try your BBB and the Cal State Atty General. This is BOGUS. Make sure you request your money back IN WRITING . . . if possible, drop a letter in person and have them sign another as "received", or have a witness.

:furious:

A no refund policy is stardard here for dive shops. Some will keep it on account for like purposes .. ie, class fess for another class dates fees only. [if notice was given early enough otherwise you forefit] Refunded equipment purchases as house funds for future purchases. Even the really good dive shop I deal with has this same policy.

I have not directly asked for a refund on the classes.. but I do know their refund policy. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask [in writing] quoting the reason I have decided not to use their facility for training.. I doubt it will help but a firmly written letter can't hurt.

I have not directly asked for a refund on the classes.. but I do know their refund policy. I guess it couldn't hurt to ask [in writing] quoting the reason I have decided not to use their facility for training.. I doubt it will help but a firmly written letter can't hurt.

I hope you do -- if nothing else, you may feel better because you took the action.

However, I don't see this as a usual reason for backing out -- you are doing so because their standards are sub-standard, because they failed to meet common, industry standard ideals for teaching.

If they give shop credit - well, can the kids use some equipment? Doggone it, this really bites.

Well, I have decided NOT to continue with the shop.. no suprise there.

I have a shop some distance away.. that has good training. Although I think it's in part too late for hubby to get it though regular classes.

I sure wish Jim Lap taught classes in my state. I'm even toying taking a family trip to FL next summer for continuing ed. Of course the kids think it's a great idea.

I'm going to look for a local instructor [hi Jim Ernst, up to the task] to give a family "Buddy Workshop" concentrating on buddy skills and drills. I don't care it's not a "regular class" but I think it is paramount if I'm going to let my kids venture out to dive with others. I really like the way Jim Lap structures his classes from the get go as a buddy team and as a real diver. I really wish more instructors did the same.

A no refund policy is stardard here for dive shops. Some will keep it on account for like purposes .. ie, class fess for another class dates fees only. [if notice was given early enough otherwise you forefit] Refunded equipment purchases as house funds for future purchases. Even the really good dive shop I deal with has this same policy.

That is such a BS. They should give you your money back! This is unacceptable and you should explain why you are pulling out and that you expect full refund and if they give you grief tell them you will involve BBB and the certifying agency.

You had good justification for backing out. Basically they broke the contract first by employing a dive profesional who will not teach to the agreed on minimum standards. In short, you didn't get what you reasonably expected-they owe you the money IMO.

Is it time for Judge Judy?

... does staying within line of viz make me a controling natzi dive buddy???

Absolutely! :D

There is training, and there is reality. In fact most folks I dive with stay tight. I generally like that in a buddy. But not always, especially if I have a camera, and they are say.. speerfishing! :shocked2:

It also depends on the type of diving you are doing. 30' on a reef with a hard bottom is not a dive where buddy skills are liklely going to come into play. 100' on a wreck, IMO you best have a buddy who takes diving seriously.

I find that dives are more enjoyable when you are sharing the experience with a buddy. So it's good to have a buddy for more than just a backup air source.

I dive with a guy that races around. He also blows through air at an alarming rate. I generally don't bother doing more than keeping an eye on him. Ironically this is not a young guy (read old), but he just loves to kick as hard as possible, and run around during the dive. If your husband falls into that catagory, then you may want to find an alternate buddy!

You did the right thing. Now write the letter and demand a refund siting the reasons you believe the instructor is not a good fit for your kids.

BTW, There are a significant number of instructors out there to choose from. Find one that has a good reputation teaching kids. As a ton of questions and do go on the dives with them. A confident instructor will not object unless you are interfering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom