Good grief.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a friend whose wife, a non-diver, snorkeled (remained on the surface) above us when we did several dives during a trip to BVI. Excellent visibility meant she could see clearly what we were doing/seeing several fathoms below her. When we returned home, she immediately signed up for scuba lessons!

Maybe if you try that approach, your wife will end up becoming the dive buddy that keeps you from having to dive solo. (And just maybe she also will begin, eventually, to understand why diving solo can be such a sublime experience.)

rx7diver
Good grief, no!

No solo anywhere? Or just no solo in UK waters?

rx7diver
Yes, I'm pleased to see that this problem appears to be limited to the British Isles (forum).

It has finally happened, my wife has said no more solo diving at your age, I am only 67!
😂🤣

Not allowed? What else has she said you’re not allowed to do? Maybe her shoe shopping or grandkid spoiling budget needs to go away.

😂🤣

😂🤣

Not allowed? What else has she said you’re not allowed to do? Maybe her shoe shopping or grandkid spoiling budget needs to go away.

😂🤣
Nothing, she is very good she is just concerned as she overestimates the risk.

I like it.
Exactly...... I just tell the wife that I'm diving with "Silent Bob" today...

FWIW.....I'm 69......which is also my favorite number!

ykFd6Mx.jpg
Here is Ted on his head, he is into yoga.
Ted is the quiet type.
20210912_080218.jpg

Why stop doing dangerous stuff, at old age?

The way I see it, I'm olde enough already. Getting older, for the sake of getting older, seems like a waste of time.

Dive. If you die, you die.

I suppose it's more conscientious to die while solo diving. Less people traumatized if there's nobody with you when it happens. Never thought of it this way before your comment.

A dear friend of mine who was always a stickler for following the rules when diving confided to me that since his kids were successfully fledged he had lost his adamant "never dive solo" attitude (for himself, never inflicted on others) and would not have a problem doing it. Of course, once the kids are out of the house and your retired, it's just you and your spouse. All day. Every day. Death may not seem to be the downside it once was.

(Though in fairness, my friend's wife is a sweetheart and puts up with his diving and travel shenanigans.)

Back
Top Bottom