Good undergarment for neoprene drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using an ONeill 7mm drysuit for a few years. I always wear at least a single layer of synthetic undergarment, like a lycra skin or a two-piece polypro/other synthetic setup such as sold for camping/skiing - just that single layer makes a big difference by keeping the cool inner surface of the suit away from your skin. For colder dives, I've got lycra or nylon skins with an inner lining. One is made by Tilos and was still available not too long ago - the one that googles up may be the same as what I've got. The lining is thin polypro fabric. The heavier garment is a Diveskins XTR by Oztex which is a nylon/lycra outer with very thin polyester fleece lining, and has a spine pad and knee patches. I think this is a much older item and no longer available.

I prefer staying warm and get cold easily, but I hardly ever use the heavier undersuit in temps around 48-50F, because the thinner suit does the job and the heavier garment is just too warm above water. I can't imagine using any of the heavier drysuit undergarments with the 7mm suit, they would be way overkill in my experience. The XC ski undergarments sound like they may be somewhere in the range similar to these two that I use.

I second the recommendation for the Otter Bay 12mm hood - it really makes a big difference. I got mine at their shop in Monterey Bay, but you may be able to order from their website.

Back
Top Bottom