Good wing for technical diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By BP/W you mean the DTD wing?

I am working on getting my couple of hundres dives as we speak. However in the meantime it is pretty expensive and tiring to borrow all of the gear from local diving shops, so I'd like to start buying some of it. I do not want to go for a recreational BCD, rather I'd like to get a wing so I can start diving with 2 tanks as soon as possible. I guess it's much better to dive with wing as I know I'd like to do decompression diving and possibly caves.

Thanks

It sounds like you need to be more clear about what exactly you're wanting to buy. My guess is that you need to buy a whole BC system, meaning a backplate, harness, and wing. Since you are a new diver, I suspect you are diving with a single tank, and so you need to get a backplate, harness, and wing for a single tank. This means as small a wing as you can find that has sufficient lift for your wetsuit compression.

Then when you start diving with doubles, you just get a bigger wing but use the same backplate and harness. Most BP/W divers that use doubles also have both a single tank wing and a doubles wing. Regardless of what anyone might try to tell you, there is no wing that does both single and double tanks well.

As someone else mentioned, there are lots of skills to be learned before you can safely do technical diving. But you can configure your single tank set up so that it's similar to a doubles set up, with a long hose and bungee necklace, and work on the propulsion/trim/air sharing/gas management skills and then be better prepared to enter the far more dangerous world of technical diving.

Besides, by the time you get into technical diving you might find that you prefer sidemount, which uses a completely different BC system. At that point you can still use your BP/W for single tank diving. Even tech divers often dive recreationally with single tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom