GoPro Dive Housing Thread... Any Leaks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max depth - 59'

GoPRo Underwater Housing - No filter (yet)

No leaks but will be using the rubber band on next dives.

I just got my housing a few of weeks ago so I have not had a good chance to dive with it other than in a local lake.

1. Housing 1 - 40+ dives Housing 2 - 15+ dives
2. Housing 1 - 189 ft Housing 2 - 130 ft
3. Housing 1 - yes Housing 2 - no
4. Neithor has leaked at all. I did have some condensation on one day but that was my fault and did not effect my unit. I rice dried as a preventative measure. Living in the caribbean means I rice dry about every 4-6 dives since there is so much humidity just to be safe.

Probably 20-40 dives so far for the stock GoPro dive housing.

Had the housing to 230 feet, but the buttons on the housing depress consistently at 180ft making the camera go into setup mode and stop recording. Once above 180ft the buttons start working again and the video can be restarted.

No leaks to 230 feet (would take it deeper but there is no use since I can't record anything deeper than 180ft).

Came across this thread searching to see if others had had any issues with the stock Go Pro flat lens housing.
-How many dives has the housing been on? Less than 20
-What was your max depth? 105 feet
-Do you have a red filter (which requires unscrewing of the OE lens)? no - no changes from stock
-Does it leak? No leaks until last night, when it flooded. Still haven't been able to figure out what happened. Looked like it latched fine. Camera is toast.

Came across this thread searching to see if others had had any issues with the stock Go Pro flat lens housing.
-How many dives has the housing been on? Less than 20
-What was your max depth? 105 feet
-Do you have a red filter (which requires unscrewing of the OE lens)? no - no changes from stock
-Does it leak? No leaks until last night, when it flooded. Still haven't been able to figure out what happened. Looked like it latched fine. Camera is toast.

Did you also use silicone grease? I grease my O-rings on the housing before diving.

Although this is an action camera the maintenance of the housing and oring is the same than other cameras
So you should remove the oring when the housing is in storage and lightly lubricate it with appropriate grease
When you fly the housing should not be closed with the oring installed
Before the trip the oring should be inspected for dents lightly lubricated and installed in a clean dry environment this will also reduce the chance of fogging
On boats the camera should be in the shade
Every time you change the battery the oring and housing should be visually inspected
Most common causes for flooding:
Dessicant insert trapped between oring and housing
Oring damaged
A hair or sand on the oring
It is a good practice to test the housing in a bucket of fresh water and check all works before jumping in the water to find out
Also you should not enter the water with the camera it should be passed to you especially if you jump from heights
At the end of the dive rinse 60 seconds in cold water and press all the buttons
The gopro is like any other camera the housing floods if care is not taken after all this is a cheap plastic housing
In terms of duration the buttons are the weak point as the orings can't be serviced I wonder if anyone has done more than 100 dives with it without problems (100 dives is when the wear and tear usually starts showing)

Although this is an action camera the maintenance of the housing and oring is the same than other cameras
So you should remove the oring when the housing is in storage and lightly lubricate it with appropriate grease

In terms of duration the buttons are the weak point as the orings can't be serviced I wonder if anyone has done more than 100 dives with it without problems (100 dives is when the wear and tear usually starts showing)

On your comments, they are good ones. But does GoPro reccomend/approve the use of lubrication on thier case? Also, I wonder why they do not provide a service life for thier case, Oohhhh wait I know why, because we are providing them with that data when our case floods and camera fails.

Anyhow, here are my numbers:

Case used about 18 times underwater, last dive was to 140ft and when I came up it had just a tiny bit of water in it. Not enough to do any damage.
I am using the Eel Vision filter which is placed inside the housing- and this was the first time I used this filter,

Am in the Philippines and one of my dive buddies had his Hero2 housing flood. However, it is possible that he brought the wrong back for the housing (he has two and they differ slightly).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom