GoPro HD underwater blur fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a question,

Has anyone used the GP 3D housing yet for a scuba dive or know if they make that housing waterproof? A dropzone near me recently said they ordered some of the 3D housings(which is just 2 HD GP's side by side with a cable syncing them) but before that I had never even heard of it. I tried to find the housing listed on gopro.com but they don't list that housing on their products page.

Also, what is the general consensus in the dive community about # of dives in relation to when you can start using a camera like a GP(I have one for skydiving). I know in skydiving it is recommended to have at least 200 skydives before you fly video but was wondering if there was anything like that in scuba? Thanks

-Evo

I figure if you can effectively control your buoyancy, able to clear your reg and mask with the camera then you are good to go. Diving with a camera is very different than jumping with a camera. I say this as both a scuba and skydiving instructor. Which ever you do, be safe. BTW, I use the GPHD in both "jobs." :D

So after reading this thread I see both the Mako and Oculus vignette at 720p and should be used in R5 for best results, but I've yet to see any video of the Eye of Mine shot in 720p. I contacted Eye of Mine and they assure me there is no vignetting at 720p but I'd like to see some video or hear from someone that actually own's this housing just to verify this.

Thanks!

I figure if you can effectively control your buoyancy, able to clear your reg and mask with the camera then you are good to go. Diving with a camera is very different than jumping with a camera. I say this as both a scuba and skydiving instructor. Which ever you do, be safe. BTW, I use the GPHD in both "jobs." :D

Thanks for the reply...I took the GP out on my last certification dive (OK'ed by the instructor) and realized pretty early that diving with my GoPro was a bit more difficult than I expected, especially when descending and entering the water (I didn't bring any mounts to Wake Island with me). We entered the water by doing the big step off of some shore reef and somewhere in the process my GP fell off my BCD(I had used a strap to hold it on)...luckily my instructor found it on the bottom for me....then as we were descending to 60ft I realized I needed 3 hands to equalize, operatre the BCD and hold the GP so I ended up dropping it again which was no big deal cause we were headed to the bottom anyway but it still was a bit nerve racking. Anyways to fix this and other problems I ordered the wrist mount, the LCD bac Pac and the Mako flat lens so I can dive with the GP properly.

-Evo

So after reading this thread I see both the Mako and Oculus vignette at 720p and should be used in R5 for best results, but I've yet to see any video of the Eye of Mine shot in 720p. I contacted Eye of Mine and they assure me there is no vignetting at 720p but I'd like to see some video or hear from someone that actually own's this housing just to verify this.

Thanks!

Keggerman her is a video I shot with the GoPro in the Eye Of Mine housing in 720p mode. I have it mounted on my scooter.

GoPro in Eye of Mine in 720p mode.

Thanks TSwain,

Thanks just what I was looking for. Looks like I'll be buying me an ugly EyeofMine.. : ) I know how annoyed I'll be if I have to stare at vignetted corners in all my slow-mo video..

Chris

anyone has any experience with magic filters? any idea if they fit over the 'eye' or/and the std case?

anyone has any experience with magic filters? any idea if they fit over the 'eye' or/and the std case?

Yes, the magic filter works great for color correction. If I can figure out how to edit my video, I'll post some of it to show you how it looks. I cut a piece to fit inside between the housing and camera lens.

Yes, the magic filter works great for color correction. If I can figure out how to edit my video, I'll post some of it to show you how it looks. I cut a piece to fit inside between the housing and camera lens.

i actually am looking how well it does if it using the external one. and if they have one that fit the 'eye case' on the external.

EVO,
You won't like hearing this but a camera should not be in your hands at this point in your early diving career. I mean this with the greatest of respect for your ambitions and future fun. The most important factor in being a good shooter is having decent buoyancy control and preparedness simply as a good diver. I was recently asked to speak to the Media Association International recently on underwater shooting and one of the questions asked was when a person should get into uw filming. The panel of 3 all agreed, first learn to dive properly before ever considering getting a cam. I used to tell my dive students way back when I was an instructor and owned a dive shop "Now that you have earned your certification, you are ready to go out and learn to dive". My friends said that to me when I was a student diver all too many years ago. And it holds true for today. Forget the cam for now and just learn to dive safely, control your buoyancy with just your breathing and not with all 3 hands on your power inflator, be able to hover a foot over any surface at any depth. Learn how to approach marine life, how to spot the macro stuff and how to avoid problems. Learn to the point that you are confident in yourself so that when the time comes for you to bring a cam in the water with you, your dive training and experiences are second nature. I would say this to anyone and not just because you dropped your cam a couple of times. All divers have dropped or lost a piece of gear at one time or another, no shame in that but I can clearly see that with somewhere under 25 dives, you are not ready to be focusing on filming. Get a 100 dives or so under your belt in all kinds of dive conditions and then bring on the cam career. Here is an old, somewhat outdated article I wrote years ago but may still be helpful to you.
SO YOU WANT TO GET YOUR FEET WET
and one that is a bit newer: Diving the Deep - Underwater Videography
Become an excellent diver EVO, train to live and be safe and your filming will only be benefited once you do take it up.
Steve Douglas

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom