Got a dilemma... what happens when you combine these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erparamedic:
Well, CD... what happened? :eyebrow: :D
TOS prohibits me from sayin' :D

Wb416, Cave Diver, You two have made my day! I've been saying all along that we all dive for fun, some just do it diffrently than others - but the goal is safe and fun diving!

Dave

I remember reading the original DORK divers manifesto, and feeling terribly left out, because I couldn't meet one of the minutiae. I could wear colored gear (blue and white dry suit, black pockets, orange wing, orange dry gloves). I could dive with all kinds of divers (prefer newbies). I could dive to HAVE FUN!

But I won't use a snorkel, so I'm not DORK . . .

TSandM:
I remember reading the original DORK divers manifesto, and feeling terribly left out, because I couldn't meet one of the minutiae. I could wear colored gear (blue and white dry suit, black pockets, orange wing, orange dry gloves). I could dive with all kinds of divers (prefer newbies). I could dive to HAVE FUN!

Lynne, Our manifesto rule #1
Dork Divers may safely use any type or color of dive gear.
We don't want any diver to be concerned about the color or mixture of colors their gear is. Some divers like all black ninja style gear while others prefer a mixture of colors. Whatever you like, we like!
Safety is a different issue. We encourage all divers to service their gear regularly by a qualified tech. We do not encourage DORK divers to ridicule other divers gear, no matter how it may appear to you.

Where does it say you must use a snorkel? Remember, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.:wink:

Dave

erparamedic:
What on earth do those letters stand for? :confused:

They'll laugh at you and call you a dork. Of course, the thread was really called "we'll laugh at you and you'll look like a dork, so I guess it should have been WLAYAYLLAD.

Merxlin (Hangs head and slinks away in shame)

:classic:

Teamcasa:
Wb416, Cave Diver, You two have made my day! I've been saying all along that we all dive for fun, some just do it diffrently than others - but the goal is safe and fun diving!

Dave

If it ain't about fun, it ain't worth doin'!!

When it stops being fun, I'll find another hobby... or get a pink snorkel... I'm not sure which yet.... :D

TSandM:

Just like there is East Coast, West Coast DIR "flavors", I think you just happened to stumble into a hive of the DORK Snorkel Sect. :rofl3:

...otherwise you wouldn't have had that impression! :D

TSandM:
I don't dive wearing a snorkel either, and I'm certainly a Dork Diver, but since several people have cleared up the misunderstanding already, might I ask one little question?

Why won't you use a snorkel?

Okay, obviously, there are plenty of reasons not to *dive* wearing a snorkel, but I can think of lots of ways a snorkel could be very useful. For example:
  • Pool trumpet: When you're in a crowded pool and you need to get someone's attention, just purse your lips and blow into one end of the snorkel.
  • Taiko drum mallet: If you happen to be over in Japan, and someone breaks one of those mallets they use to hammer on those big drums, you can toss them a snorkel and let the band play on.
  • Door ajarer: You're carrying all your gear to or from the hotel room, but you don't want to have to keep grabbing the key to open it each trip. Use the snorkel to keep it from latching, and you won't have to worry about it closing or about tripping on something heavy or expensive.
  • BRED: (Buddy Re-Education Device) When your sitting around on a surface interval and your buddy has made *one* *too* *many* hideously bad puns, you can use the snorkel as a non-leathal weapon to inflict temporary and good-natured pain in order to help the lesson stick. Other alternatives would be problematic (swinging a can light battery around could pose issues, for example).
  • Straw: So, you're *really* thirsty after that dive, but your face is all salty and sunblocky, which would make your gallon-sized beverage taste quite unpleasant. Whip out the snorkel, and drink your fill. (Isn't drinking the second most widespread use of a snorkel, anyway?)
  • Payphone actuator: When you're just finishing up a miserable dive where your drysuit flooded with freezing water, and as you're pouring it out, you realize that you left your cell phone in your pocket, and your fellow diver's battery is dead, and you set your doubles down on the keys, snapping your ignition key cleanly in half, and all you have left is the change you've found under the bench, but the payphone keypad appears to be covered in glowing radioactive goo, you can use the snorkel to press the buttons to call for help.
  • Obligatory Cajun joke: ...first you start with a roux...
Anyway, like I said, I can think of lots of times I might want to use a snorkel. :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom