Grand Cayman East End

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glimmertwins

Registered
Reaction score
I will be in Grand Cayman late November, staying on 7-mile beach. I've hear great things about the East End but have never dived there. I assume it's worth the drive?
Will weather conditions that time of year be a factor? In general, is the diving more technically difficult on East End sites?

Thanks!

Me too. Planning on going to Grand Cayman over Thanksgiving weekend and will be staying on 7 mile beach. I want to dive East End and North Wall. When will you be there glimmertwins?

glimmer,weather can be a factor on the east end that time of year.Just pick and choose your days to try the east end.The diving is not more technical than any other wall dives on island.If by technical you mean sea conditiones then possibly you might be diving in rougher sea conditions than you are used to.But again pick and choose your days when the weather looks good.

I will also be on island over the Thanksgiving holiday and will mostly try diving the South side which to me is a little more interesting now that they have "buoyed" some new sites which are less dove.

Hey glimmertwins,
we haven't been to Grand Cayman since April 2005 but I still remember the dives. Stayed at The Reef on the east end and did our diving with Ocean Frontiers. The condo at the Reef was fantastic. Very nice property with several pools. Nice easy snorkeling off the beach, but no shore diving on this side of the island. Loved the staff at Ocean Frontiers. Thought the cost of our four dives was to expensive though ($400+ per person), but the Cayman's are expensive over all. The did give use a couple of free tanks so we could get in the resort's pool and make sure our equipment was okay. Had a malfunction with our dive computer and they fixed it for free (minus the cost for the part).
The diving on the east end was not to difficult. This was only our second dive vacation and dives 16-19 for both of us. Deep canyon walls, lots of the usual fish, nice corals, and big Tarpon. We would do it again if the price was right, but not our favorite destination.
Stayed at Sunset House on the west side our second week. The room wasn't as good here, but the property was still pretty nice. We only did shore dives here on their house reef and it was fantastic. Saw multiple turtles on every dive as well as several eels, nurse shark, stingrays, the usual tropical fish, grouper, very friendly Angelfish, nice mixture of sand patched and coral gardens. They even have a small landing craft that was sunk. Worth a shore dive if you get that way and have the time. The best part was the 5 dives there cost under $100 for both of us.
Hope you have a great time!

I just got back last weekend from Grand Cayman. Wall to Wall was the company, and we went East Side diving. Beautiful....... pristine, great depths, clear, and the walls rock! Wall to Wall, ask for Giles.

eric in baltimore

Im going to Providenciales, Turks and Caicos in January...... who to dive with? Where to dive? Any good info would be great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom