Grand Cayman or Jamaica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamaica is horrid, above and below.

N

Cayman by far. Jamaica is pretty much a s***hole in comparison. That is unless you are after some serious drinking and drugs. Then Jamaica wins.

Not even close. Grand Cayman....... Jamaica is not a dive destination!

That must be right. Now, if you're into all those wooden carved phalli they sell on every street corner, Jamaica's the place, mon. :eyebrow:

Seriously, if I ever take another cruise, and it stops in Jamaica, I think I'll just stay on board and go to the bar. Once is more than enough. :wink:

We got off a cruise in Jamaica and a "greeter" shook my 13-year-old's hand leaving him with a sample baggie in his palm. My son held it up high and yelled "HEY DAD! WHAT IS THIS STUFF?"

I heard Jamaica is out of control with corruption and gang wars which have been crushing the economy for something like 3 years.

When we were there in 2007 we didn't even go snorkeling, that's how bad it was even before all the trouble. We did the Rain Forrest Zip Lines...very cool. But with all the trouble now I don't even think I'd be going out into the wilderness...

Jamaica and Mexico are both off my visit list I think for a long, long time...

I can only speak about Montego bay but it honestly looked like they did the feed the children commercial there. It was so aweful that many repeat cruisers on the ship opted to stay on board. When you get off the ship all you see is hundreds of people lining up outside the terminal and you hear over and over "Want some gaungia?" (I know I cant spell that)

If I had a choice of going out on the lake with the mexican pirates or Jamaica Id choose the pirates. ( no offense if any family reads this )

There are so many misinformed opinions and exagerations (probably because they heard it from someone else or read about it somewhere) about Jamaica is not even funny. Those are the same exact reasons why the typical american tourist even after 20 lifetime trips knows nothing about the world.

Regarding the diving it will be Cayman although some places in JA like Port Antonio, Negril and the South Cost are not too bad...

As for annoying vendors, overpriced markets and tourist traps Mexico wins hands down... plus its more dangerous and people are less friendly

Peace out

Dunns River Falls was nice, snorkeling nearby not interesting compared to most places--Jamaicans have eaten most of the fish inventory!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom