Grand Cayman Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcbritton

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Juat got back from five days on Grand Cayman. My first dive trip and it was everything we imagined.

Accomodations-
Stayed at the Marriott and it was great for relatively short stay. Location was convenient for all activities. As I was with my family, the beach and pool were critical and they did not disappoint. For a longer stay, I would recommend a condo.

Dining-
Lonestar-Good basic food at a relatively (for the Cayman's) good price.
Eats Cafe- Excellent breakfast. Better than the buffet at the Marriott.
Coconut Joes- Good burger and fries
Neptune- One of our better meals. Lasagna and key lime pie were a good change of pace from burgers, chicken fingers and fries
Hammerheads- Tourist trap on the waterfront in Georgetown. Basic food at a high price.
Marriott- Ate all lunches at the hotel out of sheer convenience. Food was ok but expensive.
All food is very pricy, so just be prepared!!!!!

Diving-THE MOST IMPORTANT PART
With the exception of my two shore dives, we used Wall to Wall Diving. While I don't have much experience, I can't imagine a better operation. Small groups, great price and friendly people. Every other customer on the boat was a repeat customer which spoke volumes to me. I will not go anywhere else. The most on any dive was eight.

Shore Dives-
Eden Rock-Ok dive on arrival day and was a good place to get wet. I would not do this dive if a cruise ship is in town as it would be packed.

Turtle Farm Reef- Night dive. Rented tanks from Dive Tech. My daughter and I did our first night dive and this is an incredibly easy place to dive. Saw spotted eels, lobster, and great coral. Take this dive over Eden Rock everyday! We will do as a day dive next time as it has agreat mini wall.

Boat dives-
Dolphin Reef- Good deep wall dive. Started here as the north wall was still too rough to dive. Saw several turtles.

Wildlife Reef- Shallow dive. Great reef formations and tons of fish.

Hepps Wall- Wall dive. Beautiful and breath taking wall.

Eagle Ray Pass-Shallow dive. Would have been a great deep dive because of available swim throughs.

Stingray City- Had to do it. Cool thing to see. My daughters and wife thought it was one of neatest things we did on the trip.

Lemon Drop Off- Saw a lot of lobsters and did a couple of great swim thorughs.

Bob's Wall- Last shallow dive and was incredible to hang at the edge of this sheer wall and look down into nothing.

All in all an incredible trip. A copuple of thoughts:

Rent a car- provides more options

Get a condo- May be slightly more expensive, but dining out every meal is not only expensive but after a while it would be nice to just hang out and have spaghetti or a sandwich.

Use Wall to Wall- Giles, Dusty and Gary do a fantastic job with all levels. They handled very experienced divers, me and my daughter (newbies) and my wife and other daughter (snorklers at Stingray City) equally well.

Thanks for the post. Glad you had a good time. My wife and I will be there in three weeks! Will be diving with Neptunes divers. Can't wait!! Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom