Grand Cayman : Where to stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kymma

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Got some good prices for the Westin Casuarina Resort and for the Marriott.

Going to have some non-diving people along with us and a couple divers.

Do either of these places have beach erosion problems?

Thanks, :)

Don't know about beach erosion, but the Westin is very, very nice.

We're planning on staying there when we return to Grand Cayman. I'll use my regular dive operator (Divetech) instead of the hotel shop, but I like the beach and the restaurant is excellent.

The beach is in a bit better shape at the Westin. The Marriott has experienced some erosion though there is a nice beach there too. There is an artificial reef project underway to limit further erosoin along certain stretches of Seven Mile Beach.

Booked the Westin. Now I just need to find a dive operator.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've been diving with Ocean Frontiers for the last five years, but they're out at the East End. I've heard friends speak highly of Off-the-Wall-Divers.

OF. is good on eastside, Ive used Fisheye
for Stingray City as well as northwall, they are excellent. Years ago, we tried cattle boats and found that larger boats were demanding following DM's as well as who so ever has 1500lbs left, all will return. When there are new divers sucking up the air this can result in coming back to the boat w/ a half dive :(
this was not condusive to our style of diving, which is my wife and I buddy up and seek our own way to and from the boat, we have our gauges, computers and directional from the dive briefings that we like to guide our dives by
:) .

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac:D

Been to Cayman twice in the past two years. I actually just got back, and will post a full trip report.

No experience with Off The Wall Divers, but they've been receommended to me by a "local".

Cayman Dive Lodge out on East End is really nice.

Red Sail sports can be good. Don't go out on their regular boats though - too much of a cattle call. Ask to go with the Rum Point crew. They have a boat that leaves the harbor at the Hyatt at about 7:45, heads to Rum Point to pick up divers, and then does a 2-tanker on the North Wall before returning to Rum Point. It works out for your non-diving travel companions because they can take the ferry to Rum Point later and meet you there when you're done diving.

I spent a week with Ocean Frontiers 3 different times a few years ago and can't wait to dive with them again this coming summer. Their customer service and professionalism is second to none! They pick the best dive site for the conditions and skill level of the divers and limit of 12 divers on their very spacious and comfortable boats. With the East End being a good drive from SMB, the dive sites are never crowded.

Now that there is a beautiful new resort (The Reef) out in "the wilds" of East End it will be great to dive, relax, dive, relax,.... We've booked a mulit-dive package deal with OF and will have a very nice condo at the resort. Rum Pointe is just a short drive so I'm looking forward to those yummy frozen drinks served right to your hammock = TAXI!!:eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom