Great skills for Underwater Photographers and all divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And where would one go to learn these mysterious fining techniques?

I've been impressed by the frog kickers I've dived with and how little they disturb the bottom sediments. I wouldn't mind adopting it myself, but I'm knock kneed and have great difficulty attempting it. When I was a swimmer I couldn't do the individual medley because my breast stroke kick was illegal.

I would love to avoid stirring up the bottom since I'm a videographer. I do avoid its impact by positioning myself down current from my subject whenever possible. Of course soft bottoms are often highly disturbed ones naturally and most of the critters have adapted to such disturbance.

Bill, the modified flutter kick is almost as good, as long as you remain horizontal. And it's much easier to learn -- the key is body posture, with the flat profile from shoulders to knees, and the knees bent somewhere between 45 and 90 degrees.

Anti-Hero, non-silting propulsion techniques are taught in GUE Fundamentals, UTD Essentials, most Intro to Tech classes, and in cavern classes. From Roseville, you have access to Monterey diving, and Beto Nava, Rob Lee (rhlee here), and Don Chennavasin (ae3753) are all instructors teaching classes that include these kicks.

Oh I assure you, I'm an expert at making nearly any kick into a highly effective silting kick. :D

Bunny limbs not helping much eh :wink:
:rofl3:

Hi Guys:

Thanks for the feedback on this technique. I'm going to try it on my next couple of dives, just using the frog quick. I did notice that most of you glide through the water with this kick and are virtually motionless (less wasted energy).

Anything that let's me achieve a longer bottom time safely, I'm willing to try.

Hi Guys:

Thanks for the feedback on this technique. I'm going to try it on my next couple of dives, just using the frog quick. I did notice that most of you glide through the water with this kick and are virtually motionless (less wasted energy).

Anything that let's me achieve a longer bottom time safely, I'm willing to try.

Good luck! Some people successfully learn these skills on their own, but it took some instruction before I really understood the dynamics.

Several divers on this thread dive this style. You're welcome to join us if you want to see the skills in real life :).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom