great white in CAL. ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mantaboy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody
I've heard that you can put yourself in a cage in California to look at great white, is it true?
I'd love to do it, any places you recomend?
MMMMMMMantaboy from French Polynésia

Went to Gaudalupe last September. It was great we saw at least 5 whites (the sharks showed as soon as we jumped into the cage) each day. The sharks ranged from 10-16 ft. Have not done the Farallon island trip, the operaters are not allowed to chum so the chances of seeing a shark are not as good however if sharks show in the Farallons they are big! If you need more info let me know

Regards
Mike

There is actaully a huge controversy in the Bay Area about these shark dives. The surfers are up in arms about the chumming because they feel it attracts more sharks to the area and they begin to associate boats and other human interaction with food. Since my sister surfs that area almost daily, I recommend the non-chumming dive op. Besides, bigger GWs are cooler. :mean:

Maybe I'm just stupid, but i would think the surfers would want them chummng at the islands. It's 27 miles from the GG bridge, so even father from the maverick. I'd sure want them way up at the islands away from where I surf.

Ther is no chumming allowed in california only at the Guadaloupe sites-It is a national marine sanctuary and it is forbiden-they use giant lures that resemble seals-like bassfishing with a top water lure-LOLStill claim an 80% success rate though!But still greatly controversal

Now that i've seen. I'll try to find the video. It show a boat pulling a felt lined peice of plywood cut out like a seal. They're going along jsut fine, then all o the sudden, the water explodes and the HUGE great wite comes completely out of the water.

The only area that I know of in California where chum is used to attract sharks is in San Diego (for blue sharks). Before you pay to do the Farallon islands do the research! My advice is if you want to see the great whites go to somewhere where the operators can chum.

About 1 1/2 years ago we did a shark dive in the Avalon Channel between Laguna Beach and Catalina. We chummed for about 2 hours while drifting in the current before the first sharks showed.

We only had some blues and 1 mako appear. It was exciting nonetheless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom