Great white shark attack south africa footage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a bit ambiguous myself on this one. I'm going to Capetown myself in January. I'd very much like to do a cage dive with Great whites, but the practise of chumming DOES bother me a lot. I was in South Australia in Port Lincoln and there they had had periods where the fishermen couldn't get out of port because the great whites would bite their boats to pieces because of the stuff they would throw overboard after cleaning the fish. That is bound to happen also with chumming the water in the same place at the same time for an extended period of time! It's asking for trouble! If anyone could recommend a nice way of seeign great whites without conditioning them to Boats = food OR divers = food, I'd very much like to hear about it.

Cheers,
Gurt

I've just got to believe that we are training sharks that where there are humans there is food. I personally think that we whould try to leave as much in its natural state as we can. I've only seen tiger sharks so far and am looking forward to seeing others. I'm not willing to go on a chum dive to see them though. I don't want to be part of the problem.

Best to all...

Tresj2:
Apparently 15 people have seen an old lady get taken by a great white this morning near the beach in Capetown south Africa :11: . The Great white was said to be 6 metres long!!! Has anyone seen pictures of this?

By the way, found another website that might come in handy for divers to check marinelife on locations: www.divestart.com .

Cheers,
Tresj2

Sounds like the waters out there are over fished. The shark had to come in to feed. I'm sure the lady was consumed if the Great White was starving. Chalk another one up for the commercial fishing industry!

I was in Capetown in Mar and went cage diving with Whites. Incredible!! There were 4 boats in our area and we were the only ones with sharks. Had 11 at one time. They did not seem at all fooled by just a boat, I think the "chuming skill" of our captain made the difference. He used shark livers supplied by local fisherman.Also tuna. The local Whites are fiercely protected. They love to eat other sharks as well as seals which are abundant. If anyone is interested, I will find the name of our guide who has helped with several shows for Discovery Channel. It was about a 2hr drive from Capetown and well worth the time and money. John

I'm heading to Guadalupe Island (Mexico) day after tomorrow to help with a research expedition studying and filming the resident great whites there. I have not worked with this group before so it will be interesting to view and document their methods as well the sharks.

Dr. Bill

drbill:
I'm heading to Guadalupe Island (Mexico) day after tomorrow to help with a research expedition studying and filming the resident great whites there. I have not worked with this group before so it will be interesting to view and document their methods as well the sharks.

Dr. Bill

Cant wait to hear about the trip Bill, I am keen on doing the trip too, so post details..

Have a great trip Dr Bill! I too, would like to do this some day soon!
Let us know how it went!
Drew

Dr. Bill

Who are you going with to Guadalupe?
I've been there twice myself and it's incredible.
Aug 28 to Sept 2 this year.
There was an average of 5 sharks around the boat,
and never less than 1 for our entire stay!
Please post a report about your trip when you return.

Bill Fisher

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom