Great White Shark caught off Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, as I posted earlier, I do know for a fact that there are sometimes big sharks off the Yucatan not too far from land. I never saw the sharks themselves in either incident, so I can't comment as to the species, but the partial white marlin my brother-in-law reeled in couldn't have been as a result of anything else (that I can think of, anyway) than some sort of very large shark.

I got that story off of Cozumel insider. Yeah who knows I've said before believe none of what you read and only half of what you see. It makes for good conversation though on these boards. I don't take too much to heart what I read it is usually just trivial information :jaws:

Well...I asked my captain and he said it must be true it was in the paper last Saturday! Its the mexican paper he reads of course and that is where the story came from, he says its true.

It's not something we'll be broadcasting around here tho'!

cat

I think the waters are too warm for their liking. That being said, Tigers and Bulls don't mind warmer water....and Tiger in particular WILL hit anything. GWs prefer seals/sea lions. Most attacks on man are mistakes, not that that makes a big difference except its very rare for them to hit a diver underwater.

We have GWs in our waters but I don't worry about em....except at night....on the surface.......I look too much like a plump sea lion.

I agree with Otter, billfish aren't even the normal food for great whites, and they don't have the speed to catch one. Makos are the only living sharks expressly designed for high speed pursuit... they're the most likely bet.

Canucklehead:
If this is true, don't let my wife know. There's no way she'd want my son or me diving in Cozumel....
Take up cave diving, you don't have to worry about sharks!

Roak

I cant believe my eyes.....what a great post.....

I just purchased my first dive camera and seeing this post I am darn glad I got a 10x zoom on that puppie....

Can you imagine breaking in a new camera by getting a shot of a great white........

Im peeing in my wetsuit just thinking about it....

21 days till Jaws 5........Cozumel

NightRaven77 :11:

I'm heading there in 10 days myself. Can't wait! If my fiancee saw this though, she wouldn't even put her toe in the water. I've promised her 100 times there's no GWs in the area, and if she hears otherwise, I'll be searching for a new dive buddy.

BUT...even by accounts of the story, it was out in the channel. We dive the reefs and I highly doubt even if there were a great white in Cozumel/Cancun/Tulum waters that it would be swimming about the reefs.

I do know for certain that there are makos, bulls, tigers and hammerheads out in the deep blue water in the channel and where they fish, but we don't see them on the reefs.

Back
Top Bottom