Great White Shark caught off Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cancun mark:
Makos are caught quite regularly out here, I would put my vote in for that as the marlin thief.

Great whites can NOT tolerate fresh water, only Bull sharks can do this. I saw the discovery documentary where they were looking for teeth that could have fallen out during this attack, but they only found fossilized teeth.

'cause the crocodiles and snapping turtles chase them all away??

:wink:
if you read the book you will find out that matawan creek is brackish and is not freshwater and that at the time of the attacks there was a unusually high tide. hey i don't wasn't there just repeating what the book said.

divenut2001:
They're closer than you think!! They appear regularly at Isla De Guadalupe!

http://www.greatwhiteadventures.com
I looked on the map. The place you are talking about is in the Pacific Ocean. So, unless these puppies swim through the Panama Canal or swim down around South America through Magellan's Pass and come up into the Caribbean I am safe from them in Cozumel, correct? Or should I add shark repellant to my packing check list just to play it safe. No! Wait! What am I thinking about? I'll just dive in one of those shark cages. Safety first! Does anyone know an operator on Coz who has a shark cage?

Texas Diver:
So, unless these puppies swim through the Panama Canal or swim down around South America through Magellan's Pass

Hey, how do you think Jaws followed Martin Brody (aka Roy Schnieder) all the way from Florida to Hawaii??

p.s. I notice that no one has actually been able to confirm this report yet. I guess that it will enter the realm of SB legends and myths if no one can huh.

Texas Diver:
I looked on the map. The place you are talking about is in the Pacific Ocean. So, unless these puppies swim through the Panama Canal or swim down around South America through Magellan's Pass and come up into the Caribbean I am safe from them in Cozumel, correct? Or should I add shark repellant to my packing check list just to play it safe. No! Wait! What am I thinking about? I'll just dive in one of those shark cages. Safety first! Does anyone know an operator on Coz who has a shark cage?

I was refering to your coment of having to spend a lot of money to go down under to see one Tex. That's why I included the site of the outfit that offers GWS diving in the event you would like to see one up close. The biggest GWS "in the world" are found off the coast of San Francisco a few months of the year at the SEFI, but they're not 9 meters as was exagerated in the original report, more around 6.7 meters (still pretty damn big). Either way a lot closer for you to travel to see one wouldn't you agree? BTW they didn't know that GWS were around Isla de Guadalupe either until divers who were unnerved reported seeing them.

divenut2001:
I was refering to your coment of having to spend a lot of money to go down under to see one Tex. That's why I included the site of the outfit that offers GWS diving in the event you would like to see one up close. The biggest GWS "in the world" are found off the coast of San Francisco a few months of the year at the SEFI, but they're not 9 meters as was exagerated in the original report, more around 6.7 meters (still pretty damn big). Either way a lot closer for you to travel to see one wouldn't you agree? BTW they didn't know that GWS were around Isla de Guadalupe either until divers who were unnerved reported seeing them.
Hey Divenut:

Sorry about that. I was not trying to make fun of your post, I was just trying to be funny. I actually saved the link you provided for the very reasons you provided it. It is good information.

I have been lucky enough to be in the water on five seperate occasions with White sharks. Twice in East London and three times diving the wreck of the Birckenhead.

Yeah first time I saw one I FREAKED. But they really showed no interest in us apart from circling us a few times before swimming off.

Scary thing with the Birkenhead is the vis is very bad, around 1-5m and my dive buddy once almost swam right into a white shark on the edge of the wreck.

So yeah they are scary, but I must rate them as the best dives I have evr done, it really is humbling to see these apex predators in their natural environment when I'm not seperated by the bars of a cage.

scubaculture:
I have been lucky enough to be in the water on five seperate occasions with White sharks. Twice in East London and three times diving the wreck of the Birckenhead.

Yeah first time I saw one I FREAKED. But they really showed no interest in us apart from circling us a few times before swimming off.

Scary thing with the Birkenhead is the vis is very bad, around 1-5m and my dive buddy once almost swam right into a white shark on the edge of the wreck.

So yeah they are scary, but I must rate them as the best dives I have evr done, it really is humbling to see these apex predators in their natural environment when I'm not seperated by the bars of a cage.

5 times? WOW!!! Sounds like you're almost guarenteed to run into one on that wreck dive. I know that there will come a day that I will have an encounter with one since they frequent the waters I regularly dive in so I try to prepare (educate) myself for that time so I "don't" freak out and panic. When I hear stories like your's I feel some reassurance that if and when that happens everything will be OK. I've also watched Mark Marks on Discoverey swim right up to them (in chummed water) to video them and come out without a scratch.

Then there's not so good tales of Abalone divers that have had some pretty "scary" encounters when they surface with their catch. But then they are hunting and during the time of year when GW'S come in large numbers to feed on baby seals so I figure that has something to do with it. The general knowlege (out here anyway) is that if they are around you're safer while you're diving but it's when you surface that you're in the most danger.

Yeah the Birckenhead is pretty much shark central. Great dive none the less.

Surfacing is the scariest part of the dive without a doubt, you must have a decent skipper who can be next to you the second you surface and who can get you into the boat as quick as possible.

It sure is refressing to hear a Great White story that is not full of paranoia and fear, i've been in the water with just about every common type of shark but the GW, all sizes and in all conditions and have never felt threatened by any of them. one day i hope to dive with the big boys but unitl then i'll take what the good Lord sends my way.

thanks for the post!

scubaculture:

Back
Top Bottom