great white sighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove Cathedral at East Anacapa and Scorpion at Santa Cruz--both reserves. Anacapa was the clearest (15ft to 20ft but green) and Santa Cruz had approx 12 to 15ft feet viz--really green. Sea temperature at depth was 61 degrees at both dive locations. I suspect that the greenness is caused by the upwelling that has been stupid lately due to the months of nonstop wind. My guess is that it will go away shortly since the winds seem to be calming down. Your dive may come with much better viz. I still have to figure out how to post picks. I'm not a very good photographer, but I'll try to figure it out. The monster halibut I saw was at Santa Cruz at Scorpion in the mud at about 35ft and approx 200 yards off shore.

posting photos - they need to be on the web somewhere in order to post. SB here has a photo album area where you can put the photos and post the links to them.

robin:D

frankpro1
I have been wanting to take a dive/kayak/camping trip to Santa Cruz. Can you give some details on how you do it? Do you rent the kayaks or take your own. do you do the guided kayak trips or do your own thing. I have hiked on Santa Cruz several times and i now there is not much in way of facilities. So do you take several tanks with you and when those are gone just snorkel because there is no air filling station on the island. I can't imagine lugging tanks to the camp ground.

If you see a dive boat maybe you can get them to fill your tank.

John

posting photos - they need to be on the web somewhere in order to post. SB here has a photo album area where you can put the photos and post the links to them.

robin:D
You can post them as thumbnails from your computer using the paperclip icon located to the right of the smilie face above the message window like this People can see them larger by clicking on them. I would love to see your shots White Knight!

Attachments

• DSC00798- (Medium).jpg
    DSC00798- (Medium).jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC00803C- (Medium).jpg
    DSC00803C- (Medium).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 40
Here is what you get if you post it using a link from a web site (this is from photobucket) using the insert image option
DSC00803C-Medium.jpg

Images taken at Bird Rock Catalina Island June 7 2010

Your dive may come with much better viz. I still have to figure out how to post picks. I'm not a very good photographer, but I'll try to figure it out. The monster halibut I saw was at Santa Cruz at Scorpion in the mud at about 35ft and approx 200 yards off shore.

Thanks White Knight. The wind always seems to be troublesome at Santa Cruz this time of year, hopefully your right and things will mellow out by the time I get there. The best way to post pic's that I've found is to upload them to photobucket and then paste the image html code into a post.

Well we're leaving tomorrow to take our sailboat to Santa Cruz Is for the week, hitting several anchorages around the island. We've got our gear and tanks so we'll do some diving. I'll post a reporton conditions when we get back...provided the GWS's don't have us for dinner!

frankpro1
I have been wanting to take a dive/kayak/camping trip to Santa Cruz. Can you give some details on how you do it? Do you rent the kayaks or take your own. do you do the guided kayak trips or do your own thing. I have hiked on Santa Cruz several times and i now there is not much in way of facilities. So do you take several tanks with you and when those are gone just snorkel because there is no air filling station on the island. I can't imagine lugging tanks to the camp ground.

Island Packers will get you and your gear to Scorpion Anchorage. They allow you to bring 2 tanks per person "if you have non-diving campers with you, bring a couple more for them :)". I leave my tanks hidden near shore "instead of lugging them back to camp". The small Scorpion rocks directly off the Anchorage are excellent for scuba diving. I've seen lots of harbor seals, nudibranchs, various reef fish and some decent size rays/sharks off these pinnacles. You just see the tip of the formation above the water, but they continue down to about the 55-60ft range and are covered in life. Also check out the pier, its really shallow but I've seen some interesting nudibranch species clinging to the pylons. A kayak and some free-dive equipment is great to bring along as well so when the tanks are empty, you can go into the various sea caves and free dive at other spots around the island.

My primary focus is always on still photography but here is a vid from last years trip: YouTube - Santa Cruz Island, Scorpion Anchorage Summer 09

Last edited:
Nice Video thanks! You have given me a couple ideas on how I want to film our favorite dive sites!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom