Greetings from NS, Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I started diving in 2004 when we decided to take a winter vacation to the Caribbean for the first time. I got my OW certification here in NS in February of that year. The ocean temperature was -2C (28F). Not a good plan. However, I'm now just a warm water diver and I have over 350 dives (along with my AOW and Enriched Air certifications). We will be headed to Cuba for the first time in three weeks - to Breezes Jibacoa. They do not currently have functioning dive centre. Would anyone know what dive operations are close to that resort that I could use?

We just returned from Cozumel and two weeks of diving. My underwater pictures are available here. Other pictures may be accessed from my website: rbrunton.ca/Travels if you are interested.

Welcome to the board! What area is the breezes in?

Breezes is in Jibacoa - between Havana and Varadero and close to Santa Cruz de Norte.

Hi snorkelingvaradero, I suspect you are right. I got this from Betanews: "

While broadband in most of
the world’s countries is generally available for between $5 and $60 per month,
in Cuba it’s an eye watering $1,753 (the country additionally has no
mobile-broadband services available). In Swaziland, the next most expensive
country in the list, it’s a lot cheaper, but still comes in at a very hefty
$875 per month." That ($1,753/mo) would sure explain why they don't use email to get back to people. We leave Tuesday morning and hopefully things will go smoothly once we're there.

Hi Ron

i'm a fellow NS diver, and townie. I thought I recognized your name. I worked for AVRSB OPerations for a couple years.

Kirk

Breezes had to replace their dive equipment and have no idea when it will arrive. However, there is an excellent operation that will pick you up and drop you off at the resort. The DM is Orestes Sanchez and I have dove with him at The Bay of Pigs for a few years and I highly recommend this trip. He has a Canadian connection which you can check out for details and contacts. Go to adventuredivers.ca
Another option might be to work out something with the resort next door called Villas Jibacoa. It would only be shore diving but it is a nice reef.

Just got back last night (26th).

I tried to dive with Villas next door, but their dive shop never seemed to be open. As I was walking over last Wednesday (20th) I saw some divers in the water by the Breezes' dive shop. I asked and was told that I could do some shore diving with them. Andre was then my dive guide for the next four days. No diving on Sunday, but every other day he was there to go out with me. Although it was very shallow, there was lots to see.

The problem with the Breezes' dive shop is that the boat is not currently operational, although they anticipate it will be fixed "in a month". I would be less optimistic about the timing, but when the boat is back in operation, there will be about 14 dive sites they visit. I think it will be worth a return trip.

Unfortunately, my flash unit stopped working and my underwater pictures from my dives this time are rather disappointing. Without the flash the camera had to use a slower shutter speed and therefore anything that moves, such as fish, is out of focus. Grrrr.

Yes the reef off Jibacoa is one of the best for being right off the resort. The boat diving is also very good and you will never see another dive boat when you are out there. Breezes Jibacoa is said to be the highest repeat customer resort in Cuba and I have met many divers who were on repeat trips. Ten to twenty times is not uncommon and after five trips the next one is free. You just need to get there.
Welcome back to the chilly north; I was out diving on the weekend and it was one degree C, great vis though, probably 60 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom