Greetings from Oakland!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey all! Thank you for your welcomes! I finished my OW certification this weekend! We had great conditions in Monterey and 4 wonderful dives.

Next weekend we will have our Rescue Diver certification dives. I am really excited to get out there and start exploring!

One question...seeing as your from Oakland, you wouldn't happen to be a Raiders fan, are you? :)

I don't really follow NFL, sorry! :lookaround: My exposure to football is limited to 2-4 Cal games a year that I go to. I'm more of a baseball guy, but I'll keep you guessing which side of the bay my favorite team is from :)

Go Bears!!

And welcome to our dive community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all! Thank you for your welcomes! I finished my OW certification this weekend! We had great conditions in Monterey and 4 wonderful dives.

Next weekend we will have our Rescue Diver certification dives. I am really excited to get out there and start exploring!

I don't really follow NFL, sorry! :lookaround: My exposure to football is limited to 2-4 Cal games a year that I go to. I'm more of a baseball guy, but I'll keep you guessing which side of the bay my favorite team is from :)

Awesome!!! Congratulations!!! What organization did you get certified with? PADI?

:hm: I'm not sure which team is your fav...however, it is a guarantee it's better than my Royals! :rofl3:

Awesome!!! Congratulations!!! What organization did you get certified with? PADI?

Hi again! Sorry, I'm a little slow with my scuba board posts. Thank you, I got certified with NAUI. On Friday, Matt and I also finished our Rescue Diver certification. I really think it's a good set of skills to have for any scuba diver.

We went diving at the breakwater this weekend. I am always amazed by the cool stuff down there.

What I'm always surprised by are the reactions that I get from non-divers when I tell them that I started scuba diving. Almost everyone immediately starts talking about how great it would be to go diving in Hawaii or some place like that. I don't know, I think diving in NorCal is really underrated. I find the kelp forests pretty spectacular, but then again I haven't been diving anywhere else yet...

Greetings to you both!

I'm not NAUI fluent. How does one go from basic O/W cert to Rescue Diver in one week? I thought PADI Rescue required AOW plus 100 dives. Evidently experience is no longer required. I must be living in the past (again).

Of course, I totally agree that Rescue training is a good thing. Don't get me wrong there.

However, I'm reminded of a dive I did with a recent and inexperienced DM who freaked out at going deep (140ft). No serious problem, but it made me wonder about that sort of training w/o adequate experience.

Alan

ad6e - Alan
NAUI only asks for 10 dives before beginning their Rescue class.
Usually one takes Basic which gives them 4 checkout dives. They then take Adv which gives them 6 more.

I'm not familiar with PADI but even I think that 100 dives before Rescue is ridiculous, especially for an agency that never even officially covers rescues for the basic scuba diver course.
I think you were either misinformed or their standards have changed. Currently I've heard their DM course requires 60 dives before you can partake. So 100 dives for Rescue seems bit off.....

Edit: Some instructors will let you take a class even if you are below the minimum number of dives. It's at their transgression though after they evaluate a student.

Hi again! Sorry, I'm a little slow with my scuba board posts. Thank you, I got certified with NAUI. On Friday, Matt and I also finished our Rescue Diver certification. I really think it's a good set of skills to have for any scuba diver.

We went diving at the breakwater this weekend. I am always amazed by the cool stuff down there.

What I'm always surprised by are the reactions that I get from non-divers when I tell them that I started scuba diving. Almost everyone immediately starts talking about how great it would be to go diving in Hawaii or some place like that. I don't know, I think diving in NorCal is really underrated. I find the kelp forests pretty spectacular, but then again I haven't been diving anywhere else yet...

That's great Fabs! I'm so glad to hear it! I bet the Kelp forest is amazing. I think it would be beautiful. I have not dove through Kelp like that yet and I'm looking forward to it. I think being underwater anywhere is amazing though, even if you're just seeing rocks. :)

Don't leave use hanging! How did the rescue course go?

And yes, Norcal's definitely underrated. You can spend a solid dive at the Breakwater just staring along a 10ft stretch. There's just so much to see and even more to pass by. I remember the first time someone pointed out a cryptic Painted Greenling. After that initial sighting I just saw tons of them covering the rocks. Never even noticed them before.
Be sure to take at least one dive just staring at a single area. You'll be surprise how much is hidden in plain sight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom