Group Trip - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never read up on it; I imagine there are many variables (species of sponge, immediate environmental conditions, how big a 'bite' was taken,whether the sponge was knocked over, etc...).

Anyone have a sense of how quickly sponges repopulated reefs hit hard by hurricanes? IIRC, quite some years ago a Hurricane Wilma did serious reef damage in Cozumel; how many big sponges have come up since?

Richard.

I remember once Roatan was hit by a powerful earthquake. The barrel sponges took a big hit. I was thinking it would change the underwater landscape, but there are now plenty of big, beautiful barrel sponges still there. Must learn more!

Anyone have a sense of how quickly sponges repopulated reefs hit hard by hurricanes? IIRC, quite some years ago a Hurricane Wilma did serious reef damage in Cozumel; how many big sponges have come up since?
Sponges came back around Cozumel pretty quickly after Wilma, at least compared to the hard coral which will take many years (decades? centuries?) to recover. I think that in general the harder the structure the longer it takes to form.

From my initial reading, I'm seeing that sponges do regenerate in some situations. But there are many variations based on the variety of sponge and the cause and scope of damage, so it will take LOTS more research for me to learn and (hopefully) understand their behavior.

Looks too dense for my casual skimming (i.e.: it's making my eyes glaze over), but if you really want some sponge regeneration info., I found this:

Regeneration of Sponges in Ecological Context: Is Regeneration an Integral Part of Life History and Morphological Strategies?

Turns out rates vary.

From the Wikipedia sponges entry:

"
Sponges in temperate regions live for at most a few years, but some tropical species and perhaps some deep-ocean ones may live for 200 years or more. Some calcified demosponges grow by only 0.2 mm (0.0079 in) per year and, if that rate is constant, specimens 1 m (3.3 ft) wide must be about 5,000 years old. Some sponges start sexual reproduction when only a few weeks old, while others wait until they are several years old.[22]
"

You too??? I guess we have more in common than I thought - my eyes are definitely glazed over :cuddles:

But it's important subject matter. I will follow up with the geniuses in Key Largo who are learning so much about our reefs and see what I can learn.

What you pointed out really resounded with me...there is a difference between coral reefs and sponges...especially as related to damage inflicted by divers and marine creatures. It's one of those "light bulb" moments for me :)

I will follow up with the geniuses in Key Largo who are learning so much about our reefs and see what I can learn.

Hey Diva. Well, whatever has taken place in Key Largo and the FL keys is an absolute travesty. I had the pleasure of snorkeling off Largo about 30 years ago as a little kid. Then 15 years ago got certified in Key West with my wife and enjoyed diving Looe Key. Then maybe 7 years ago we tried a dive trip back the keys and were blown out all but did get one in off Largo. What a difference from what I remember as a kid. Largo was a DEAD REEF. Nothing but brown algae all over everything and very few fish. It was like diving in a moonscape of dead coral rubble that still had it's structure covered with algae. We didn't get to dive Looe Key that was fantastic when we were initially certified so I can't comment on that site other than watching youtube dive videos that seem to show it is worth diving. I'm glad I am the age I am because things are changing rapidly and that old advice that "You have to travel further and get to the untouched sites" doesn't seem to apply much from people I've spoken with. No matter where you go the locals will say "You should have seen it 20 years ago" and those whop have been there will say, "It wasn't the same". Cozumel isn't insulated from this. It is a great dive destination but it isn't what it was 15 years ago in my opinion. Others may disagree but I see a difference. Maybe that hurricane several years ago that tore the crap out of everything made a difference and the lions have made a difference but I say it is different. The one thing that serves as a semi life-line for Coz is the current that constantly flushes the reef from the south with no sources of contamination but more cruise ships, more cruise ship docs, more construction, all hitting an island with antiquated sewer systems and sanitation... That all runs to the ocean and luckily, it runs into the ocean north of the best reefs and continues to be carried north.

I'd be interested in hearing what others think about Coz and if they too see a difference over the past 15 years or I am just perhaps getting Jaded. I know when construction started on yet another pier for cruise ships down south several years ago the seahorses vanished from the Paradise grasses and the DM's told me they left when it started and haven't been back. They are somewhere I guess but they aren't there anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom