Groupon Deal - is this course recommended?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I'd be surprised, notwithstanding Lemna's experience if a LDS offered a poorer experience to groupon customers. They aren't trying to sell O/W courses. If you have a less-than-optimal experience, you don't come back. They are dumb if they are playing games with this IMHO.

For C$399 you get both OW and AOW. That's the deal. It includes all equipment at least for the OW class. They don't say for the the AOW part. This is a good deal as OW is generally about $500 without equipment costs. AOW does not include equipment at dive shops I am familiar with but ask.

The questions that remain are 1. Cert card costs and 2. Books/Learning material costs. It does not say if those costs are covered. Maybe I missed it, but apparently EVERYONE is incapable reading, as nobody could explain the basic deal and they missed included equipment and AOW! :D

This is an LDS that you may have considered had you been looking to get certified. Groupon is just an advertiser. If this is something you considered than go for it! Realize you must take the classes within the time frame agreed. That's OW/AOW by fall.

Have Fun!

I guess I'd be surprised, notwithstanding Lemna's experience if a LDS offered a poorer experience to groupon customers. They aren't trying to sell O/W courses. If you have a less-than-optimal experience, you don't come back. They are dumb if they are playing games with this IMHO.

t-mac, I did not mean to imply that groupon customers had a poorer experience. My buddies who took the 'groupon o/w' got the exact same courses and they were all happy with how they were treated. It's just that in the end the price difference is not as big as it might seem, once you include the book etc. And secondly, one of the reasons that it was inexpensive is the rigid scheduling: they tried to fill all classes to full capacity. That might or might not work out for you, depending on you job, or needing some extra time.

If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If they are offering OW and AOW certification for $399, then I suspect there are some hidden costs that will creep up.

Worth investigating though, perhaps you know a certified diver that will go to the shop with you and get the skinny?

The instructors likely have no idea who signed up with Groupon vs. regular customers. The main issue with Groupon (at least in FL) is Groupon has no clue how big the shops are or their capacity. So LDS have been overbooked, and this means people who expect to be certified next week may not get into a class for a month+. I would contact the LDS and Groupon immediately if time is an issue.

If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If they are offering OW and AOW certification for $399, then I suspect there are some hidden costs that will creep up.

The Deal is that many folks that signup with Groupon never complete the classes. I have no idea with Scuba what % will fail to take the class, but with dinners for example, a good number never show. So 20% may be a no show but they still pay..... not bad for Groupon or the retail establishment.

This is one of the Shannon family shops. Buyer beware - do some serious research here - many are not happy with their courses at full pop let alone Groupon price.

This is one of the Shannon family shops. Buyer beware - do some serious research here - many are not happy with their courses at full pop let alone Groupon price.

If it is one of theirs its better to check what is included as sometime ago the price dis not include materials the gear or boat fees

Hello ALL
If you are interested I recommend you call the shop for more information. 905-274-5182
We are the most experienced dive operation in the GTA.

I have listed this groupon below

Choose Between Two Options

$79 for two open-water scuba dives (a $165 value). Customers must have scuba certification to purchase this option.
$399 for an open-water scuba-certification and advanced-licensing course (a $984 value)

• The certification course begins with three Tuesday-night instructor-led sessions at the pool from 6:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.
  • As part of the course, students also take two days of open-water diving, with all equipment included, held on Saturdays and Sundays from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m., or Wednesdays and Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
  • Course takers receive certification after filling out log books and returning equipment
  • The advanced course then tests abilities with five different open-water scenario dives

---------- Post added April 15th, 2012 at 06:03 PM ----------

OTHER COURSES OFFERED at our shops give value, with years of dive instruction experiences passed on to our students

We also offer a weekend diving program value 2-4-1 for only $99.00 with each student purchasing a student kit for $50,00
Call for details or check out my site diveaqua.com then choose your openwater options.
We also encourage students to learn on their own quality dive Mask,Fins and snorkel for a better learning experience.
We sell only quality major brand names of scuba diving gear and equipment
A rental packages are also available and it can be used for a partial credit on a new scuba gear purchase.

Pay for your openwater when you are ready to do it.
Avoid the "all in" packages as they limit the new dive students options and save money.

When choosing a course value is a consideration and we offer extra value with our years of hands on dive instruction experience.

We always encourage new divers to practice the basic skills with our extra pool practice options.
Basically the more you dive and practice the better and more confident you become.

We are your Scuba Pro's ,Instructors and new friends please just ask we are always available to answer your dive questions.

Once a diver feels very confident in the water then its time for the Openwater certification dives.
You have your openwater dive options of doing away on vacation = Tropics or scuba diving locally.

We always offer extra value to our students.

On our local openwater dives, weather permitting has a "FREE" scuba wreck dive Sunday in Oakville aboard a custom Dive boat.
Robert has always done this so the students have the excitement of a real ship wreck dive and a better overall experience .
Also Lady's it is the only dive boat in the GTA with a washroom onboard.

Oakville Divers also offers one free scuba dive to all our students after they have completed there openwater dives.

The boat and instructors are always on board ,available for more experience dives,specialty certifications, gear testing, and to introduce you to other divers and fun.
At $35.00 per dive its a great value for all divers

We have many other course and scuba diving equipment values to offer.

The best way to access them is to sign up for our next dive course, as thousands of other satisfied Scuba Diving Ontarian's have done since 1963.

R Shannon
\

Last edited:
If it is one of theirs its better to check what is included as sometime ago the price dis not include materials the gear or boat fees

I got a message that Robert has never charged the boat fees. So It could be my mistake and I do not insist on that :) I just remember that the course price was given as a breakdown, and I could be mistaken that the boat fees were extra... Thats good for the students.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom