Gue DIR-F vs Naui intro to tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me see if I can't shed some more light on this subject.

NAUITec has an Intro to Tech class. AG was previously GUE's training director, and through his 5thd-x training company offers a significantly beefed up DIR version of Intro to Tech that is every bit of DIR-F (and maybe then a little, for instance their Intro to Tech requires doubles). That's only the 5thd-x version that's up to that DIR standard. MHK is correct that you shouldn't expect the same DIR based Intro to Tech class from any other NAUITec outfit. AG, etc. at 5thd-x comes with GUE instructor backgrounds, which makes them and their courses unique among NAUITech instruction.

As another example, 5thd-x has thier Intro to Tech as a prerequisite to their DIR Wreck1, which is also technically the NAUITec Wreck1, but is substantially more involved in time, dives, and other requirements than any other NAUITec Wreck1 course. GUE doesn't offer wreck diving training specifically, if you wanted DIR wreck diving training this is basically the only place to get that, also through 5thd-x. Go to 5thd-x.com and click on "X-Education" at the top for a chart that shows the 5thd-x training progression and a loose comparison of 5thd-x to some other training agencies training. While you are there, the Learning Center has a ton of must read material if you are new to DIR.

Essentials is a little different that DIR-F or 5thd-x Intro to Tech in that its a workshop. Its not pass/prov/fail its more of a "here's where you are, here's where you need to be, here are the skills, etc. you need to work on to get there". You work on what you need to work on. When I took Essentials from JoeT there were some DIR-F level things our class didn't get to drill down on (notably the SMB deployment) because quite honestly there were more fundamental skills that needed work. What you work on will depend on where you current skills are and what fundamental issues need to be addressed before moving on. Its IMO an outstanding introduction to DIR and I couldn't be happier about starting there.

There are other interesting training options like their mini's which are like 1/2 day "up to speed" training sessions on specific topics like doubles or stage bottles, etc.

PM me if there are more specific questions I might be able to answer.

(My only affiliation to 5thd-x is that I'm a happy customer/student.)

terrasmak:
Thats is exactly why i posted this , now the kicker for me , the area im moving to has only TDI from what i have found (Las Vegas) but of course i could easily drive home to SoCal

I know a few excellent divers with TDI certs!!!

Not sure what you're looking for, just take the nitrox, advanced nitrox, and decompression procedures classes that TDI offers and you're good to go eyebrow

Other than that, dive dive dive:D

http://www.tdisdi.com/tdi/courses/courses.html

wingnut:
AG's NAUI equivalent to GUE's Fundamental's is "Essentials". I'm taking it from Andrew and Joe Talavera in April.

Brian

The Essentials is not the equivalent to DIR-F.... Read Adobo's write up on the class (The first Essentials class) http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=116583

Here's St Somewhere's report on the same class http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=121269&highlight=essentials

I can not comment on the NAUI Tech but I've done the DIR-F (X 2) and I recommend it to all my friends (ok enemies too... they deserve some of the pain) because of the high level of skill and situational awareness they demand of you....

The Essentials is not the equivalent to DIR-F.... Read Adobo's write up on the class (The first Essentials class) http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=116583

You are right. My mistake. I just got clarification, I'm taking the Intro to Tech course, which from my understanding, is quite similar to Fundamentals.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Brian

wingnut:
AG's NAUI equivalent to GUE's Fundamental's is "Essentials". I'm taking it from Andrew and Joe Talavera in April.

Brian

Yes AG's essentials is gaining quite the interest, we have the "Essentials of DIR" DVD's here next week, there has been 150 sold and they were just released. In the Puget Sound area Northwest Sports Divers will be the facility hosting this class as well as AG's "Essentials/NAUI Intro to Tech" course which will be more geared towards technical diving. His Rebreather Essentials will be offered soon.

I have had an opportunity to examine the instructor materials from NAUI Intro to Tech, and I have taken a DIR-F. My initial reactions as follows:

- The performance bar is higher in DIR-F
- NAUI attempts to do too much with too little time. EI; stages, reels and "tech" skills, in addition to all the DIR-F skills with less in water time than the old 3 day DIR-F.
- NAUI's demonstration videos are incredibly low quality.
- NAUI does not mandate or include time for video feedback of in water skills. Altho every instructor who I have talked to about the course are going to attempt to include it.

I would suggest the two courses have a very different audience.
DIR-F is about mastering the basic skills of diving
NAUI Intro to Tech is about getting into the water and learning about tech gear and procedures

JimC:
I have had an opportunity to examine the instructor materials from NAUI Intro to Tech, and I have taken a DIR-F. My initial reactions as follows:

- The performance bar is higher in DIR-F
- NAUI attempts to do too much with too little time. EI; stages, reels and "tech" skills, in addition to all the DIR-F skills with less in water time than the old 3 day DIR-F.
- NAUI's demonstration videos are incredibly low quality.
- NAUI does not mandate or include time for video feedback of in water skills. Altho every instructor who I have talked to about the course are going to attempt to include it.

I would suggest the two courses have a very different audience.
DIR-F is about mastering the basic skills of diving
NAUI Intro to Tech is about getting into the water and learning about tech gear and procedures

True to a point, but NAUI Intructors are given the "Freedom to Tech" meaning they are aloud to exceed the standards of each course. If the standards are met then the instructor has the freedom to structure their own course. AG's Essentials/Intro to Tech course does just that, so yes it is above and beyond Fundamentals.

mattwave:
True to a point, but NAUI Intructors are given the "Freedom to Tech" meaning they are aloud to exceed the standards of each course. If the standards are met then the instructor has the freedom to structure their own course. AG's Essentials/Intro to Tech course does just that, so yes it is above and beyond Fundamentals.

Unless you get joe shmoe who decides to teach it exactly to standards. They are very different courses, as written.

And NOTHING can possibly excuse the demonstration video. Nothing.

JimC:
Unless you get joe shmoe who decides to teach it exactly to standards. They are very different courses, as written.

And NOTHING can possibly excuse the demonstration video. Nothing.
Howdy Jim.

Want to elaborate on the videos? This is the first I've heard of them.

I feel for the pool. *bowwoowww*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom