Gue DIR-F vs Naui intro to tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted to clarify the purpose of the new Essentials course and the NAUI Intro to Tech course by discussing the evolution of our training curriculum and exciting new materials. In order to appreciate this evolution, I feel I first need to give a more complete history and background. As many of you are aware, I developed the GUE Fundamentals class when I was the GUE Training Director as well as the Power Point (the workbook is just a copy of it) and trained the instructors who taught it. At its conception, we were trying to introduce DIR and GUE to the public and began by running a workshop that appealed to an audience who had never heard of DIR or GUE. We frequently had students from all levels taking the class, some of whom were there to learn, some whom wanted to argue. As word got out, the workshop progressed into a formal class and then eventually into a prerequisite for other GUE classes. When DIRF became a pass/fail certification class, it was a huge turn off for many who wanted to take the class and focus just on learning rather than the stigma and pressure of the pass/fail requirement. I saw students change their focus from learning the basic DIR skills to "needing" a pass in order to get their c-card to take another GUE class. The c-cards issued don't actually give any privileges other than to continue to take more GUE classes.

The pass/fail requirement created a dichotomy. A growing number of students saw it as the stepping stone to further GUE classes and therefore felt significant pressure to pass and would spend months or even years "practicing" for it. For students only interested in improving their recreational diving rather than pursuing GUE cave or technical dive training, the class lost the flavor it once had with so much emphasis being placed on pre-cave/pre-tech. At that point, I asked to split DIRF into a recreational version that would not be pass/fail but more of a workshop style since students didn't really need a c-card for anything. Then there could be a technical orientated DIRF class for those who were planning to go on to technical or cave classes and for whom a pass/fail requirement would be more useful. This way, the pressure on a recreational diver who did not necessarily want to go tech could be alleviated and for those who took the technical version, additional skills could be introduced as I felt the generic DIRF class missed some important information for those that wanted to go onto technical diving. However, I was banned from doing any such thing, but when I split from GUE I was finally able to do excatly that.

We have split our DIR training into two classes: Essentials and Intro to Tech. Essentials focuses on recreational divers who may be new to DIR concepts or have less experience. Students take the class in a sIngle tank DIR configuration and receive the powerpoint, workbook and Essentials/Fundamentals skill videos. Just to clarify, this is not a copy of the GUE Powerpoint I created, it is a whole new presentation with accompanying workbook and newly filmed skill videos. The Intro to Tech class is more focused on students planning to pursue technical and/or cave training. This is a NAUI certification class but as taught by myself and Joe Talavera has a lot more to offer than the Minimum standards. I feel this class can offer much more than a generic DIRF class with a mix of recreational and technically orientated students. For example, GUE Fundamentals does not introduce valve management or stage bottle management (carrying/deploying/stowing) which are important skills for any technical diver. Our Intro to Tech class also has a whole new power point, workbook, flow chart and skill videos. Keep in mind that students (actually anyone) can purchase the materials prior to class to review and of course, will then have reference material afterwards....and lack of materials was the # 1 complaint I heard while teaching for GUE.

Hope this gives some insight into why we created the Essentials class and our teaching philosophy behind the classes and development of these new materials.

Andrew Georgitsis
5thd-x.com

I have no doubt that your NAUI Intro to Tech would be an excellent class, far above the documented class outline.

Unfortunately, that reflects upon you and not the class it self. My buddy and I were both incredibly disappointed at the skill video he received for teaching NAUI Intro to Tech. We found the slide deck to be lengthy and unprofessionally put together. We also figured from the course outline that doing anything more than a PADI style "do it once" would be difficult or impossible if following the recommended schedule. Let alone time for video review (not even mentioned in the material), adding or mastering the skills presented.

I had a lot of hope for this course and the direction NAUI is headed, but I was disappointed with the "minimum standards" if you will. I think I spent about 30 minutes watching the big guy in doubles flounder around the pool in shock - then I started laughing.

Then we went out and cut some new videos, which actually included a real valve drill and not some "isolate and crossover" garbage.

Jim

Just to clarify. You are talking about being disappointed with the offical NAUI video and Powerpoint. We do not use these. We have built our own Powerpoint, Workbook and flow charts that incorporate the standards from NAUI but reflect our own Intro to Tech class that is well above the min. standards. We also shot all new video skills in the Red Sea with skill demonstrations that won't make you laugh. If you want to see similar level and quality of the skills, we currently have the Essentials available and some of the video can be seen on the splash page (http://www.5thd-x.com/xducation/dvds/essentialsdvd.html) or ask someone who has the Essentials DVD of their impression of the quality of the skills. We are releasing the Intro to Tech DVD on Feb 1 with all the skills and powerpoint and workbook and so on. Some recent students have seen the quality of the skills on this DVD and were really impressed.

Andrew

Kudos to you, Andrew.

To bad that isn't what a typical diver can expect walking into a NAUI shop and asking for an Intro to Tech. They get the fat guy with poor skills and a massive slide deck with little content.

Perhaps you can make some noise with NAUI Tech and have the material updated.

Hey Andrew,

So, there is NAUI intro to tec and there is 5thD-X version of the same program? Neither of which will be recognized by GUE as fulfilling prerequisites for their training?

Can you give us an idea on the cross-over possibilities? I'm interested in receiving training from various agencies. Will I be required to start at the bottom with each?

Thanks,

Dave Herbert

As I said on the thread about the Essentials video, the quality of the skills demonstrated is enough to make you wonder if Industrial Light and Magic had something to do with the production :)

TSandM:
As I said on the thread about the Essentials video, the quality of the skills demonstrated is enough to make you wonder if Industrial Light and Magic had something to do with the production :)

Well, I know Delia has connections with some very creative and computer savvy people. :)

JimC:
Kudos to you, Andrew.

To bad that isn't what a typical diver can expect walking into a NAUI shop and asking for an Intro to Tech. They get the fat guy with poor skills and a massive slide deck with little content.

Perhaps you can make some noise with NAUI Tech and have the material updated.

Jim,

My personal opinion, NAUI and all of the other well established agencies are battleships that take an incredible amount of energy to steer in a different direction.

If any diver is looking for quality instruction, it is always to their benefit to research as much as they can about the content of the given class and the quality of the instructors teaching it. If for some reason, a student has difficulties finding the quality of instruction that he/she desires, there are always two other options. One is to arrange an extended weekend visit to Monterey and participate in 5thd-x's regularly scheduled sessions. The other is to host the class within the student's local area.

So what your saying is pick over instructors until you find one you THINK might be good. When I spend big bux for a Sun Certified instructor I don't have to pick and choose, I just show up for the course and get -to the standards- quality training.

Why is this SO hard to do in the diving industry? Call up my nearest NAUI shop and get into a course. Oppose, you picked the wrong instructor and wasted your time and money. They didn't teach way above and beyond the basic material. Sorry.

JimC:
So what your saying is pick over instructors until you find one you THINK might be good.
and the key word there is THINK. The wannabe tech diver is in a really bad position when trying to evaluate an instructor. They just don't know what the don't know.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom