GUE goes tabular

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course, GUE's tables assume minimum deco, which is more deco than you would do with PADI's tables, with the three minute stop at 15 feet.

Yup, ironically a ~5min ascent gives you 5 more mins on the bottom :wink:

GUE vs padi's EAN32 tables (v. 1.0)
40mins at 90ft vs 35mins
50mins at 80ft vs 45mins
60min at 70ft is same as padi
100mins at 60ft vs 90mins
170mins at 50ft vs 155mins

All in all, they seem pretty damn aggressive to me.

Yeah, you are right some of them are a bit off

Seems a little strange to me. PADI's tables assume you can skip the safety stop and allow a fast ascent. If the GUE tables would include a 20 minute stop at 20 ft think of how much extra bottom time you could get! I got the tables with the Rec-1 book and thought they were aggressive too.

It's also not so obvious to me that these tables will really help GUE Rec divers play nice with PADI/SSI/etc divers (which would matter more if any recreational divers actually dived tables).

Seems a little strange to me. PADI's tables assume you can skip the safety stop and allow a fast ascent. If the GUE tables would include a 20 minute stop at 20 ft think of how much extra bottom time you could get! I got the tables with the Rec-1 book and thought they were aggressive too.

It's also not so obvious to me that these tables will really help GUE Rec divers play nice with PADI/SSI/etc divers (which would matter more if any recreational divers actually dived tables).

Realistically is a GUE rec1 diver with a realistic warm water small woman beginner consumption of 0.7 ever going to hit these limits on a single tank of EAN32? I could come close in MX or FL cave diving in the 80-90ft range and my consumption is decent (sac = 0.4-0.45 in warm water), but that's in doubles. In a single tank I don't see it happening unless you're on dive 5 of a day with short SIs.

I have no idea what's taught regarding using air if that's all you can get.

Last edited:
Richard, I can easily see a recreational diver hitting NDL on a HP130 in Jupiter FL where the bottom is often at 100ft and lots of shops rent large steel tanks. Not sure if Rec 1 allows that depth, but dive ops down there aren't that strict, I just hand them my Jr Scuba Diver c-card from when I was 11yrs old and they've never asked for anything more advanced.

I still think fitness, rest & hydration is 100x more important than overstaying NDL by a few minutes, heck even 5-7+ minutes....but I wouldn't say that if I could be held legally responsible for it.

Richard, I can easily see a recreational diver hitting NDL on a HP130 in Jupiter FL where the bottom is often at 100ft and lots of shops rent large steel tanks.

I still think fitness, rest & hydration is 100x more important than overstaying NDL by a few minutes, heck even 5-7+ minutes....but I wouldn't say that if I could be held legally responsible for it.

Does Rec1 have a 60ft depth limit like most RSTC OW courses?

Does Rec1 have a 60ft depth limit like most RSTC OW courses?
Guess so...

Course Limits

1. General Training Limits as outlined in Section 1.4
  2. Student to instructor ratio is not to exceed 4:1 during any in-water training and should be adjusted downward to account for bad conditions and/or poor visibility
  3. Maximum depth 70 feet/21 meters
  4. No decompression
  5. No overhead environment diving
Recreational Diver Level 1 - Nitrox diver | Global Underwater Explorers

BTW- Check your FB account messages...

Realistically is a GUE rec1 diver with a realistic warm water small woman beginner consumption of 0.7 ever going to hit these limits on a single tank of EAN32? I could come close in MX or FL cave diving in the 80-90ft range and my consumption is decent (sac = 0.4-0.45 in warm water), but that's in doubles. In a single tank I don't see it happening unless you're on dive 5 of a day with short SIs.

I have no idea what taught regarding using air if that's all you can get.

I know several guys who could comfortably break the 60 min@70 ft limit (you could get close, of course) in an Al80 but I agree for most people this isn't going to be a big issue. One could argue that there would be no harm in giving stricter limits on these tables than they do now though.

I tried to calculate if I could break oxygen toxicity limits with 5 dives/day for 6 days on Al80s/EAN32. I don't remember the exact numbers but I got nowhere close. I would still like to assume the table limits are reasonable though, even if I can't easily reach them.

Anyway, I assume these tables wont kill people in practice, I just thought it was curious given what seem rather conservative assumptions elsewhere.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom