GUE goes tabular

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why the heck did they do that? Min deco is so much easier to understand.

?? The table is based on min deco.

I think it's great that they finally have a table. When I took fundies, I thought it was kind of silly that GUE did not have its own table, and the best recommendation for a min deco 32% table was the Peter Steinhoff table. I believe the official recommendation was to use the table provided during my open water or Nitrox training with min deco on top of that, but now that there is a GUE open water class, that clearly doesn't cut it.

As far as I understand, there have at least been several GUE Rec 1 classes taught in Europe. I could be mistaken.

Allison

I know several guys who could comfortably break the 60 min@70 ft limit (you could get close, of course) in an Al80 but I agree for most people this isn't going to be a big issue. One could argue that there would be no harm in giving stricter limits on these tables than they do now though.

I tried to calculate if I could break oxygen toxicity limits with 5 dives/day for 6 days on Al80s/EAN32. I don't remember the exact numbers but I got nowhere close. I would still like to assume the table limits are reasonable though, even if I can't easily reach them.

Anyway, I assume these tables wont kill people in practice, I just thought it was curious given what seem rather conservative assumptions elsewhere.

Wow, just running numbers through Vplanner and I just barely broke the the AL80 limit for a dive to 70 feet for 60 minutes using an RMV of 0.3 . Most girls I know aren't even that light on air. The caveat is that by the time you've hit the MDL your tank is pretty much empty.

Using an RMV of 0.2 (do those people exist??) I got the gas requirements down to 57 cu ft of gas required, but there goes your Rock Bottom and maybe your MDL so that is still not in line with dive planning and ascent strategies taught by either GUE or UTD. Going deeper makes pushing a single tank more realistic, but you had better be full of Zen to include RB and ascent time.

Granted, all this assumes first dive of the day, so it would pay off greater if say, on a liveaboard or simply doing multiple repetitive deep dives in a few days' time, but I don't know many people who are capable and willing to dive like that. With my RMV of 0.5 I could barely push some of these in my HP100 doubles in a local boat dive scenario and leave enough gas for an enjoyable second dive. As for local shore diving, Nitrox isn't really needed for most of the dives I do, some don't even make tables on air.

Peace,
Greg

Perhaps there is a collision on terms. Min deco I was taught was the air version of the attached table + ascent.

Attachments

• min deco table.gif
    min deco table.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 227
Richard, I can easily see a recreational diver hitting NDL on a HP130 in Jupiter FL where the bottom is often at 100ft and lots of shops rent large steel tanks. Not sure if Rec 1 allows that depth, but dive ops down there aren't that strict, I just hand them my Jr Scuba Diver c-card from when I was 11yrs old and they've never asked for anything more advanced.

Funny how they rent hp130s in FL and AL80s in Puget Sound!

The slower/cleaner 1min/10ft ascent from 50% of depth after these BTs is clearly allowing them to push the BTs themselves. That doesn't mean they aren't fairly aggressive BTs though.

I think it's great that they finally have a table. When I took fundies, I thought it was kind of silly that GUE did not have its own table, and the best recommendation for a min deco 32% table was the Peter Steinhoff table. I believe the official recommendation was to use the table provided during my open water or Nitrox training with min deco on top of that, but now that there is a GUE open water class, that clearly doesn't cut it.

Blech, blech. The Steinhoff table is equally bad as these.

To my mind the latest table has 2 flaws:
1) its fairly aggressive & new divers don't need to intentionally be aggressive.
2) it now requires RNT schenanagins which creates alot of math for what is operationally a simple process (creating a suitably low probability of getting bent).

One thing I like about my LDS is they have a range of steel tanks for rent. If you ask nicely they'll give you an AL80, but they strongly discourage it. Same price for AL80, LP72, LP95...

My question is, if this becomes or is the official table for GUE, how do I order me my table? Is it for sale on their website?

Anyone have the link?

Thanks,

MG

One thing I like about my LDS is they have a range of steel tanks for rent. If you ask nicely they'll give you an AL80, but they strongly discourage it. Same price for AL80, LP72, LP95...
Wonder how many of those divers could realistically swim a LP95 up and remain on the surface long enough to get picked up by a boat if a wing fails?

My question is, if this becomes or is the official table for GUE, how do I order me my table? Is it for sale on their website?

Anyone have the link?

Thanks,

MG

You can get the tables & rec1 books by being a GUE member. Although I don't think there's a plastic laminated version anywhere.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom