GUE Tech 1 book and DIRF book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your right. But it achieved its purpose, and that was to fire up you guys up and get some intersting responses. I am not judging the course. I read the book, but havent taken the course. I am Naui certified and thats fine with me, I was just making the observation that the book, left a lot to be desired.

Which begs the question why not put "the good stuff" in the book? You still need to take a class to understand how to apply the theory.

Isn't GUE supposed to be interested in the "greater good"?

Because we talk about DIR so much I baught all the GUE manuals. They are ok and others are correct they offer nothing new. I'm not sure anyone said that they did though. I have also talked with several GUE trained divers and again found nothing new. I don't know that we need anything new. What I do think we need is consistant quality. From what I have been able to determine, at least so far, GUE has managed to provide that.

I would like to have seen some of their gas management methods and decompression methods in the text but they are totally void of this. I saw very little nuts and bolts so to speak. I even have their book on surveying and I can say the same for it.

I am not making any attempt to determine the quality of the classes based on the texts. I have seen good texts and lousy texts and good classes and lousy classes and I don't thing there is a correlation.

cadet diver once bubbled...

Which begs the question why not put "the good stuff" in the book? You still need to take a class to understand how to apply the theory.

No, IMHO GUE is interested in teaching people who want to DIR. That's not for the masses. Not yet, anyway.

I honestly think that they could do away with the books, but it helps those people that have no clue whatsoever about the subject. It's all taught in the class. (I'm speaking from a DIRF point of view here).

As a previous posted said, take the class to learn the information-both mental and physical.

cadet diver once bubbled...
Your right. But it achieved its purpose, and that was to fire up you guys up and get some intersting responses

No, GUE isn't interested in the greater good... it is only interested in those who want DIR training and are willing to do what it takes to get it... which is more than just buying a book.

They don't publish the "good stuff" for a reason: those who haven't been trained to use the "good stuff" would go out and get themselves in trouble because they lack the skills necessary to use the "good stuff."

Are you interested in the greater good? Doesn't seem like it. Seems like you just want to indulge yourself.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

They don't publish the "good stuff" for a reason: those who haven't been trained to use the "good stuff" would go out and get themselves in trouble because they lack the skills necessary to use the "good stuff."

This is what's wrong with DIR. And, IMO, until its fixed, the other 99.99% of us who aren't there, will not be.

And, with all due respect, horsepuckey.

Phil

MechDiver once blathered...
This is what's wrong with DIR. And, IMO, until its fixed, the other 99.99% of us who aren't there, will not be.
It's a free country, do what you like.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think.

Roak

That's part of the problem. Too many colors. Only ONE color
needed for dive gear: BLACK !!!

Remove that decision and folks will be free to concentrate
on USEFULness of dive gear.

roakey once bubbled...

It's a free country, do what you like.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him think.

Roak

Really? According to George you are not allowed to think, as that promotes "diversity".

I am far from anti-DIR. I AM far from the DIR attitude that you show in your quote above. Exactly the point I made to Pug.

Phil

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

You only think you made a point. You just told me about yourself is all.

Ahh, cats out of the bag. And yea, I learned quite a bit about you also.
Nice to have two divisions in life huh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom