Gulf of Papagayo & Guanacaste

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PB125

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are taking our first trip to Costa Rica May 1st. I'm considering a full suit for the dive considering the H2O temp. (~70 to 85 Degrees). We are also looking to take a dive at Catalina.
Any suggestions for the dive and local restaurants would be helpful. We are staying at the Allegro Grand Papagayo and are thinking of diving with their dive masters. BUT, should we be disappointed, what dive group would some suggest. WE looked at Rich Coast Diving but would like a review before going with them.

Thanks!!

You do know its the start of the rainy(green ) season? We will be on the caribe coast at the same time, probably see you in the San Jose Airport!

Then I guess we'll dive in the rain......

jlwn97w3v.jpg

Oh, Look for the guy pulling the BIG red duffle bag.

Last edited:
I dived for a week in July 2008 at Playa del Coco. I used Rich Coast and have no complaints. I didn't make it to Catalina, however, for the dives I did in the Gulf of Papagayo, viz ranged from 20 - 50 feet.

I get cold easily, but I was okay in my full-length 4/3 until we hit a thermocline, then it felt like going into intense air-conditioning. I can't help much with the restaurants; I had breakfasts at my hotel, snacked for lunches and had take-outs from the deli at one of the supermarkets for suppers.

My trip report is here:

David "Rainmaker" Mauldin's Scuba Trip Reports .

I'm not sure you have the name of your hotel correct:

My wife and I stayed at the Occidental Allegro in Papagayo in June last year. Although the resident dive school's name might be 'PADI' but I learned that they are not 'PADI' registered when we arrived at the hotel. Check whether this is still the case before you go. There is an Occidental Grand but quite a few miles away from the Allegro.

We dived with Rich Coast Diving. Playa del Coco is a $30-40 round trip away from the Occidental Allegro hotel (a bit nearer to the Occidental Grand) and takes about 30 mins each way. Brenda (a very friendly Dutch lady who runs Rich Coast Diving) and her team were professionalism personified. Nothing was too much trouble, they were competitively priced, extremely friendly and considerate. I would add that, although my wife and I are qualified as Open Water divers, we are still novice / recreational divers and Rich Coast took great care of us.

I don't get cold easily but my wife does. She used her 5mm full suit (no hood) and I had my 'shortie' on as usual.

I can't remember the name of the hotel but there is a great place to feed and water yourselves just round the corner from Rich Coast Diving (and across the football pitch) in Playa del Coco. Rich Coast recommended it to us, so I'm sure they'll be able to point it out to you, too.

We did a couple of dives per day. The water was cloudy due to the season. We saw plenty of fish, a couple of turtles and a school of white-tip reef shark. We didn't venture across to Murcielago (Bat) Island as Rich Coast said we were too novice to cope with currents and the sharks that would be there.

Enjoy your stay in Costa Rica, it's a wonderful place.

Hi there,

Of course you are more than welcome to dive with us, we do offer some local hotel discounts.
the one Rushfan is talking aobut is Coco Palms and another good one is the Pato Loco.
It all depends on what you are looking for.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.
Sunny regards from Costa Rica ( man it's hot.. about 109) Brenda
dive@richcoastdiving.com

I'm not sure you have the name of your hotel correct:

My wife and I stayed at the Occidental Allegro in Papagayo in June last year. Although the resident dive school's name might be 'PADI' but I learned that they are not 'PADI' registered when we arrived at the hotel. Check whether this is still the case before you go. There is an Occidental Grand but quite a few miles away from the Allegro.

Allegro / Occidental....about the same. It's in our travel club. I believe the correct name is "Occidental Grand Papagayo" That's where we're staying.

Of course you are more than welcome to dive with us, we do offer some local hotel discounts.
the one Rushfan is talking aobut is Coco Palms and another good one is the Pato Loco.

Thanks Brenda!

We will come by probably on April 2nd to get all squared away! We are thinking of three days of two tank diving and maybe a night dive.

Thanks Again,

Phil

Hi there,

dive@richcoastdiving.com
What thickness of suit do you recommend for late May? What are the water temps we're likely to encounter? Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom