Had my last dive ever today...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to be the guy who made fun of drysuit divers for being wimps while I was still diving wet in cold temperatures
QUOTE]

That's like monkeys making fun of humans for not wearing fur coats in the summer.

I don't mean to split hairs, but I have been trying to figure out this analogy. Wouldn't it make more sense if it was the humans making fun of the monkey, for wearing the coat? I'm sorry, maybe I've missed something:D

get pockets and a p-valve, even if you think you dont need them. Eventually you will and they are worth whatever outrageous price the manufactures charge.

What suit are you getting??

It has been said that the tightness of Neopreen is directly proportional to the volume of Biopreen.

LOL... too funny, discrete, was thinking the same. jj...you won't regret your DS. Not as easy as wet suit diving....bit of a learning curve ahead. Remember to have fun! And jj you really should come clean with the "tough as nails".....we both know you swim in the middle of summer...in 55f water all the time in just shorts, cause that's all you have ...Glacier pools!.....LOL. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
My hat's off to you. Here in NS I'll do a 20-20 Atlantic dive at 34F in my 7 mil, but I can't imagine continuing if it splits apart! So you were down at least 35 mins. in all. That's tough!

My hat's off to you. Here in NS I'll do a 20-20 Atlantic dive at 34F in my 7 mil, but I can't imagine continuing if it splits apart! So you were down at least 35 mins. in all. That's tough!

Ya it was pretty dang cold, but it was the first dive of the season, the visability was unusally good and calling it after 10 minutes when the zipper split just wasn't going to happen. We did however come a bit shallower where the temperature increased from 37 degrees at 60 feet to a balmy 39 at around the 20 foot mark.

I did find I was swimming faster then I usually do in an effort to keep warm, which was quite unsuccessful really.

get pockets and a p-valve, even if you think you dont need them. Eventually you will and they are worth whatever outrageous price the manufactures charge.

What suit are you getting??

I'm getting Bare's latest model of the Nex-Gen Pro drysuit. It's pretty basic with not a lot of "extras" but I got a good price on it and it will suit my needs. I've heard from others that despite it basicness it is actually a pretty good suit. Looking forward to getting it and trying it out.

Does this wetsuit make my gut look fat?

:D

I don't mean to split hairs, but I have been trying to figure out this analogy. Wouldn't it make more sense if it was the humans making fun of the monkey, for wearing the coat? I'm sorry, maybe I've missed something:D

I used to be the guy who made fun of drysuit divers for being wimps while I was still diving wet in cold temperatures...
That's like monkeys making fun of humans for not wearing fur coats in the summer.
1. Monkeys wear fur coats in the summer, which is a stupid thing to do.
1b. [some] Divers wear wetsuits in cold water, another purportedly stupid thing to do.

2. Humans not wearing fur coat in the summer. Comfortable and smart.
2b. [other] Divers wearing drysuits in cold water. Comfortable and smart.

.. and the perception shift, the crux of the joke..

3. The monkeys, judging the humans from their perception, think it's stupid to not wear a fur coat in the summer. Stupid monkeys.
3b. The wetsuit divers, judging the drysuit divers from their perception, think it's stupid to dive dry in cold water. Stupid [wetsuit] divers.

In reality, it comes back to 2 & 2a.

The monkeys mock from a position of inherent stupidity on their own part. To change the analogy as you suggested would be to imply that the humans are mocking the monkey from a smarter position, which is not the case when you have a wetsuit diver mocking drysuit diving. :)

Hope I've thoroughly sucked out and systematically destroyed any remnant of humor remaining in this analogy. :)

Me, I've dove wet in 45° in a 7mil, and I hope to do it again. Puts hair on your.. chest. Far be it for me to make fun of a drysuit diver, though! :)

Just for the record, when I said I made fun of drysuit divers it was all in jest. Most of my buddies around here dive dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom