Halcyon Cinch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teller

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Im planning on buying a complete Halcyon rig from Dive Seekers in a couple weeks and was considering the cinch system. I switch between wetsuit and drysuit often and it looks like its much easier to adjust. Does anyone have any experience with it. I am intrested in hearing any pros or cons. Thanks.

I have it, and ended up just using tri-glides to lock it in place. I felt it was too easy to accidentally make the harness larger, and consequently make sure you had it perfectly fit for every dive. YMMV

I have it, and ended up just using tri-glides to lock it in place. I felt it was too easy to accidentally make the harness larger, and consequently make sure you had it perfectly fit for every dive. YMMV

Are you saying that the harness can uncinch randomly?

It complicated a beautifully simplistic piece of equipment so I removed and gave away. Simply mark your webbing with a white pencil and adjust webbing. A 5 minute procedure...

I was thinking the same thing. Thats what I do now but just thought this could save a bit of time.

Read my Halcyon Infiniti review from a while ago.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...stems/423857-halcyon-infinity-impression.html

It is not bad for single tank, truely easy to adjust and comfortable. It is a real good idea if you share a BC with another person. If you are using it yourself, I can probably adjust the tri-glide when I go to warm water, then readjust it when I get home. It is a one (two) time adjustment, and save a couple hundreds of dollars.

For double, it is not the same story. You have to mess with the backpad everything you remove the doubles. And you may need to switch bolt kit (longer bottom bolt) for the cinch. The main problem is I do think the correct length for cinch will be too long without the cinch. So you may need to switch bottom bolt when you switch between cinch and non-cinch. that was at a least my experience.

I bought an Infinity at the advice of the salesperson "no one buys the standard anymore. Everyone loves diving this". I was new and gullible.

Slowly I removed all the special little peices, for various reasons. The cinch was the last to go. I kinda liked it even though I didn't use it very often.

When changing to different tank and weight set-ups while traveling, I sometimes wanted to slightly vary the position of the tanks on my back to address trim issues due to a varying center of gravity. Also, when changing exposure protection, small adjustments sometimes made for better fit.

I agree that adjusting the harness on a backplate is not a real time consuming thing, but with the cinch a couple of times I adjusted it while wearing it in the water. Easy with a cinch; just unbuckle the waist buckle and pull.

As I got more into a technical flavored setup, I slowly floated to the simpler solutions. Having the D-ring mounted right to the waist strap was the reason that I finally took off the cinch. There is a D ring not on the weight pocket that can be used with the cinch, but my instructor was violently anti-gimmick, and I realized that at this point I did not really use the cinch. Since I removed it I haven't missed it.

I think that I enjoyed it during my training wheels period, but now that I am more comfortable with my gear it makes no difference.

If you would be changing exposure protection alot, however, it might be nice. My change of exposure protection is mostly seasonal, so its not so often.

I don't recall it ever changing itself by accident, though.

I use the Halcyon plate and cinch system for all my diving. This includes singles, doubles (steel), wet & drysuits, rec and technical cave diving. The system is easy and effortless to use and I've never had any issues with "slipping" or "uncinching". It's a fantastic system IMO. Adjusting the system while diving is a breeze. Getting out of the rig above and below water is ridiculously effortless.

I tried it for a while, and it seemed to work OK, but I eventually took it off. I don't miss it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom