Halcyon Eclipse 30 vs Oxycheq Sig Mach V 40lb mini review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So then it is a question of maybe sluggish venting vs. a heavy duty cover and thicker inner bladder??

No, it's a question of definately sluggish venting due to a "heavy duty cover and thicker [bunched-up] inner bladder.

---------- Post Merged at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Imagine two like-sized plastic bags, one inside the other. Imagine a larger bag inside of a smaller bag. Which do you, at least intuitively, think is going to vent faster?

I see your point and understand the concept, but it is a nonissue for me except for "possible" wear due to the folding. The poster did comment that she believes the Oxycheq vents slower, but they perform about the same otherwise. From a "toughness" standpoint, she favors the Oxycheq. The H cost much, much more. Now, you have an H knockoff and I will look at that next time as a possible consideration. However, for me slower venting is a non issue. For freshwater, I dive an 8/7 semidry with 5lb backplate and no additional weight - not adding much air. For salt with my steel 100s, I dive the Oxycheq 18lb wing and Oxycheq SS travel plate with no additional weight. Again, venting has not been an issue. Even diving AL80s on trips with an extra 4lb weight (4/3 wetsuit), venting has not been an issue for me in my Oxycheq. To be clear, I've not dove the 30lb Oxycheq. However, I prefer "small" bouyancy adjustments so possible "slow" dumping works for me. The "possible" wear factor of a folded bladder would be the only concern for me and I'm not sure that is even a real life issue.

hmm, I am a "he". Try to read my name backward.

Oxycheq definitely vent slower compare to H. Or I should say H vent faster noticeably. I constantly over vent for a first a few dives. I don't know what is the root cause here. My guess would be the combination of stiffer shell and folded bladder.

Toughness wise, shell goes to Oxycheq. It feels heavy, thick, hard to damage, and this is only the signature series. I can't imagine what he extreme series is like. H has better bladder.

I also wonder what is H knock off is like. Mind sharing what that wing is? As far as I know, H makes their wing in house. So a knock off can look similar, so as 90% of the wings out there, but I highly doubt the quality and attention to detail will be the same.

Anyone know how the Hollis compares to the Halcyon?

My apologies, I should have clicked on your name. My bad. Again, I apologize. I guess for me the question is which wing offers the best performance for the $. I'm not interested in paying almost twice as much for a little bit (at least subjectively)better dumping of air if other benefits are negligible.

My apologies, I should have clicked on your name. My bad. Again, I apologize. I guess for me the question is which wing offers the best performance for the $. I'm not interested in paying almost twice as much for a little bit (at least subjectively)better dumping of air if other benefits are negligible.

I also read the name dyslexiously (sp) as oralanee. Kidding. If you have a non-issue re which bag of air to use, don't you mean you have a non-issue?

If the benefits were substantial, I'd go with the H. However, they need to be more than " a little slow to dump". Of course, that's just me. I will be in the market for a new 25-30lb wing soon. Looking at Oxycheq and DSS. Would look at the Dux except for the recent comments re Golem Gear and not so great customer service.

hmm, I am a "he". Try to read my name backward.

I also wonder what is H knock off is like. Mind sharing what that wing is? As far as I know, H makes their wing in house. So a knock off can look similar, so as 90% of the wings out there, but I highly doubt the quality and attention to detail will be the same.

From my understanding they are well made: Golem sells on brand DUX Everes14

no problem, it happends a lot, but soon people realize I backward spelled my name.

I think the best "bang for the buck" is a really subjective and personal thing. Some people just want the basic functionality, some peoople will pay the most for the best money can buy. And there are most of us somehwere in between. Think about car as analogy, if everyone just want to go from A to B, then there will be no market for BMW, Mercedez. Peope who buy Farrair will think it worth every penny over an Audi.

From my understanding they are well made: Golem sells on brand DUX Everes14

But I won't call it a H knock off.

---------- Post Merged at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Anyone know how the Hollis compares to the Halcyon?

I haven't dive a Hollis wing yet. From the look of the single wing from pictures (I haven't seen one in person), it is very similar to the H. Hollis website says the bladder is coated nylon. I have seen a Hollis double wing (maybe a older version) in person, material is the soft and flexible kind like the H, but bladder is unathane. If Hollis send one of their single wing, I am happy to do a write up. :)

Or, you can PM me, I will give you my overall impression with Hollis from my personal experience.

---------- Post Merged at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:58 PM ----------

so the main reason I borrow the H wing is for my upcoming Hawaii trip. I want a wing that can be packed efficiently. So here is the situation in the middle of packing my dive gears

Left side is Oxycheq 40lb wing. If I try to pack it inside the roller (carry on size), nothing else will go in. Right side upper corner is H Eclipse 30. And for reference, right side lower corner is H Evolve 40. It came from H folded like this. So I have to assume it is save to do so. H wing is just so folderable.
wing packing.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom