Halcyon Eclipse and DSS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen Ash:
Mark,

Here's my suggestion...

Get Tobin's complete SS plate/30# wing/ hog harness. You'll love it! Order one today and be done with it.

If you want something a little more traditional, then you would be wise to at least consider Oxycheq, Agir or Golem before ordering that Eclipse.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies and feedback. I guess the biggest thing that separates H from DSS is the warranty and manual. I checked H's website last night and their manual seems very detailed. I would expect this if your shucking out this kind of cash. Can't find anything on warranty with DSS and from previous posts, there's no manual either. Anybody know of any links for setting up DSS rig? I might be overthinking this, but jsut want to know what to expect (or not).:06:

Thanks again!

modivin:
Guys,

Thanks for the replies and feedback. I guess the biggest thing that separates H from DSS is the warranty and manual. I checked H's website last night and their manual seems very detailed. I would expect this if your shucking out this kind of cash. Can't find anything on warranty with DSS and from previous posts, there's no manual either. Anybody know of any links for setting up DSS rig? I might be overthinking this, but jsut want to know what to expect (or not).:06:

Thanks again!

Hi Modivin,

Our warranty is a year, pretty much the same as others in this business with the usual exceptions etc.

We are in the middle of a comprehensive rework of our website, and it will include step by step setup of the harness. Hope to have something up shortly.

Just keep in mind that with a back plate and wing there isn't much to go wrong.

Tobin

modivin:
Guys,

Thanks again!

Halcyon definitely has a great name for service and support. Yet, I feel pretty comfortable saying that Tobin would bend over backwards to keep his customers happy. I'm sure that he'll be along shortly to answer your questions about his warranty but I would be very surprised if his is anything less than Halcyon's.

I guess a big company like Halcyon would be less likely to just up and vanish one day... but even so, I reckon you could get left holding the bag with anyone of these manufacturers.

I have bought a lot of stuff from the 'small guys"... guys like FredT and Howard Sandroff. Both have pretty much quit offering their product. Even so, Howard still stands behind his stuff and has even recently helped me sort out a battery problem with my cannister light. I lost a chunk of change with FredT... but that was under some catastrophic conditions for which I can't hold him responsible.

I suppose there always is a little extra risk when dealing with these small companies... but for what they offer, it seems to me, that the risk is worth it.

Stephen Ash:
Yah... what's up with that?

Well, the lcd30 rear dump has a little plastic thing attached to it so that it's easier to pull, which is not DIR (failure point), but if it bothers the diver then it's easy to remove. (So far I've kept mine)

Also, the inner bladder is not made of the type of material that WKPP divers traditionally use, but I'm not sure whether it would be considered un-DIR. Personally I like it better than the Halcyon material because it looks easier to repair.

Also DIR divers don't use independent doubles, so those doubles slots on the DSS plate would be redundant for a committed DIR diver. (But I love them because sometimes you just end up someplace with no manifolded doubles available for rent and then you can slap on the independents).

Anyway, those are just my observations, I too would like to hear why SangP considereds the DSS plate non-DIR.

cool_hardware52:
Hi Sang,

Can you explain this comment? We do offer a "Hogarthian Harness, and a non DIR adjustable harness.

Tobin

Hi Tobin,
I was refering to the comfort harness and I was also told by some Dir guys that because your plate have "tough thermoplastic elastomer grommets over molded, permanently bonded to plate for zero webbing wear." There is a chance that these grommets however tough they are, may have problems in the future.

Cheers,

SangP

modivin:
Guys,
I guess the biggest thing that separates H from DSS is the warranty and manual.

You might want to take another look at these two rigs. They are totally different animals... 'maybe' same genus... but certainly different species!

Tobin's solutions are innovative. Halcyon gear is classic. Each has its own advantages.

Don't choose one over the other because of a manual. Pick the one that best suits your needs or desires.

SangP:
Hi Tobin,
I was refering to the comfort harness and I was also told by some Dir guys that because your plate have "tough thermoplastic elastomer grommets over molded, permanently bonded to plate for zero webbing wear." There is a chance that these grommets however tough they are, may have problems in the future.

Cheers,

SangP

Take a look at Tobin's plate. Don't look at a picture, but actually check one out in person. Those inserts aren't going anywhere. He probably has the best plate available right now... less bend angle, superb finish, optional weight plates, and probably the best STA-less design available from any manufacturer. I can't imagine anyone getting kicked out of the DIR club for showing up in Tobin's hog rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom