Halcyon Eclipse and DSS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

modivin:
Adam,

Thanks for sharing. Pretty much everything I've read about DSS is positive. I appreciate you taking the time to post your experience. Do they make/assemble
everything on site at their shop? I'd like to meet Tobin if I'm ever in the LA area again.
Let me know how you make out on the rigging/fitting and how well you like your setup!!

Regards,
Mark

Tobin told me that the inflator and pull-dump are the sort of stock items that are used by ~80% of the manufacturers. I have no direct knowledge about the rest but assume it's made on site.

I got lucky as far as rigging, I bought the one he was using to demonstrate details to me and the Hog harness was already rigged. It took me less than an hour of pulling, fiddling and cutting to get the fit right and the d-rings positioned properly. That includes tying boltsnaps to my backup light and rented console and positioning those, too. Even the innertube pieces for tucking the light and corrugated hose under were included. A few searches on this board were very helpful. The webbing adjusted easily enough and I didn't need to burn holes, use bolts or involve an STA like you apparently do with some other rigs. All in all I rather enjoyed myself and got good and excited for the dive the next morning. My wife even had a good time laughing (and smirking) at me as I bent and twisted all over the place in my 7mm wetsuit, pausing every couple minutes to stare at the computer screen real close.

I got in one beach dive the next morning, through pretty high surf. I can only compare the setup to the various jacket BCs I've rented (back inflate and otherwise) as I'd never used a bp/wing before. It was lightyears ahead of all of them. It was so stable on my back it was almost like an extension of myself, even through the not inconsiderable waves and surge. My trim was the best it's ever been, I've never been so comfortable while horizontal and motionless at the same time. I don't know what else to say other than everything worked exactly as it should and I will now join the chorus of those extolling the benefits of a bp/wing.

Enjoy your decision and its eventual results,
Adam

While I haven't yet bought a wing (have a DR SS backplate and harness - still need to check what type, as I got it secondhand from a friend), I can second everything that Neophyte says about Tobin...

I called him the other day to talk about wings and whether or not it would work with my BP and also to discuss what kind of lift I might need. He spent the better part of half an hour on the phone with me, discussing wing design, how to check for what lift I'd need, and whether or not his wing would work with my BP....rather than focusing on making a sale, he focused on making sure the *I'd* be buying the right product to work for me.

I still need to get into the pool to check out that lift capacity question and thoroughly check out the BP, but if it turns out that a DSS wing will work for me, that'll be what I'll buy. His knowledge and integrity impressed me that much.

Although I haven't have the pleasure of speaking to Tobin personally I have exchange some mails with him and he has always been very professional and helpful. I have also received numerous mails from Patrick Duffy of Oxycheq and I can say he is absolutely hilarious!!!

Both of these guys take their work very seriously and it's clearly reflected in their equipment.

modivin, you would most likely go the hog way eventually and why not start now since it's cheaper anyway.

What it boils down to is the gear setup you want. I personally prefer having an STA for my singles rig and to have as many holes as possible on the plate to facilitate things like backpads, light batteries, hotdogs, mustard, coke LOL!

You may prefer horseshoes but I like frosty donuts, damn I'm getting hungry!

Anyway, the stuff I've mentioned are excelent and it just boils down to price, accessories, type of wing etc etc.

Good, good all good.

SangP

Love my single tank DSS rig. Extremely streamlined. Due to allot of travelling, I use the comfort harness - non-DIR, non-problema.

Great design that meets all my recreational needs, at a reasonable price-point. Great job Tobin!

jjckfc:
Love my single tank DSS rig. Extremely streamlined. Due to allot of travelling, I use the comfort harness - non-DIR, non-problema.

Great design that meets all my recreational needs, at a reasonable price-point. Great job Tobin!

Why do you feel that the comfort harness is better for traveling?

This thread couldn't have come at a better time, as I was considering H vs DSS for the past couple of weeks. I emailed H a couple of months ago on recommendations for a wing, and got a sales brochure via email. No real recommendations, or a method to find out what wing was right for me. Yesterday I emailed DSS and Tobin responded almost immediately and told me how to figure out what size wing I needed, which, from his best guess of my stats, will be the 40lb wing, not the 30 that I thought. I'll be buying from Tobin just as soon as I do the pool test he recommended. Thanks to Modivin for starting this thread and everyone else for contributing.

A friend of mine sent me this link as well. BP/W reviews. http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/buoyancy_compensators/backplate_buoyancy_systems/
They didn't use the hog harnesses in their reviews, but just the same, it got great marks. Good luck with your decision.
Jason

A couple of thoughts --

First, someone mentioned above that FredT is no longer in business (Fred makes AL and SS backplates and other hardware). That is not the case. While lead times may be longer for certain things (he was hit hard by the hurricane -- located on Mississippi gulf coast), he is open for business. ftagge@acadiacom.net

Second -- I think it is hard to try and compare a small one-man-show mfr. to Halcyon on customer service. H is bigger and probably does not have enough folks to respond to every e-mail. That said, I've received good customer service from them over the past few years.

Regarding backplates -- I do think the small guys like FredT and others have an advantage, mainly because they offer more options and can customize a plate to your needs, if need be. For example, on his standard product list, Fred has AL plates as well as 4 weights/thicknesses of SS plates; in addition, he has 3 different plate lengths (short, long, XL) for both AL and SS plates. That's 5 x 3 = 15 different BP options (vs. 2 for Halcyon -- 1 SS, 1 AL). He also sells 2 different weights of STAs. All that said, he is usually cheaper than Halcyon as well.

Wings -- the only experience I have is with Halcyon (I've owned both Pioneer and Eclipse wings). I currently use an Eclipse 40, which I've had for about a year. Well made and durable. I like the inner bladder with durable outer shell.

I wouldn't fret too much about a user's manual. There are schematics all over the web providing instructions on how to rig a harness. I consider myself to be rather pathetic in the do-it-yourself department, and I've rigged harnesses with no trouble at all.

Hope this helps -- good luck with the shopping.

Chris

Lots of good info in this thread. I just wanted to throw in that I wouldn't hesitate to buy either the DSS or the H, both have great reputations. Also, the Halcyon wings now come with the standard plastic inflators, with the Stainless Steel inflator as an option, so you can get either one you prefer.

I have a DSS singles rig, 40# LCD wing, pro-fit harness, weight plates.

It's an awesome rig. I don't think you can find a narrower wing, and the profile is much more important than donut vs horseshoe. The rig practically forces you to swim trim, and when trim, the air evens out between the sides.

And like others have said, it's full of small touches that really make it a great rig. The parts work great together as a system.

Travel with it is a dream. It's so small, and the pro-fit is easily adjustable to different exposure protection. I love the hardware on the pro-fit harness!

Anyone who is concerned about the plastic inserts in the webbing slots going anywhere has never seen a DSS plate in person. Maybe with a Sawzall you could get one out after a while...maybe.

The weight plates are fantastic.

I'd just order up a DSS rig for yourself. There's zero chance you'll be disappointed and it has the additional benefit of not spending extra money to put "H"s all over your gear :wink:

Cheers :D
Gregg

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
I have a DSS singles rig, 40# LCD wing, pro-fit harness, weight plates.

It's an awesome rig. I don't think you can find a narrower wing, and the profile is much more important than donut vs horseshoe. The rig practically forces you to swim trim, and when trim, the air evens out between the sides.

And like others have said, it's full of small touches that really make it a great rig. The parts work great together as a system.

Travel with it is a dream. It's so small, and the pro-fit is easily adjustable to different exposure protection. I love the hardware on the pro-fit harness!

Anyone who is concerned about the plastic inserts in the webbing slots going anywhere has never seen a DSS plate in person. Maybe with a Sawzall you could get one out after a while...maybe.

The weight plates are fantastic.

I'd just order up a DSS rig for yourself. There's zero chance you'll be disappointed and it has the additional benefit of not spending extra money to put "H"s all over your gear :wink:

Cheers :D
Gregg

Well guys,

After MUCH thought and research, Tobin's my man, no doubt about it. After all's said and done, his innovative approach to tech gear has really impressed me as well as his knowledge of the sport and hands-on engineering. Really don't see how I can go wrong with DSS. Am ordering the 30# wing, SS plate, and Pro-Fit harness. Like Gregg said too, the hardware on the harness looks pretty awesome. Can't wait to get it in the water.

Thanks for everyone's input and feedback. This board is invaluable and great! I'll be posting results after I can get wet!! :D

Back
Top Bottom