Halcyon Eclipse vs. DSS Plate w. Mach V vs. ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry if I mispoke -- I don't necessarily prefer to not have an STA (I've never used/not-used so don't have much basis) but from what I've read about the Mach V and DSS wings, they say "no STA needed, wing features roll control, etc." I just figured I'd be pushing overweighted with the SS plate alone, why add on the STA, especially since I'm going to be traveling with this.

It seems though that the STA provides more than just tank stability, so maybe I should reconsider.

Nemrod - out of curiosity, how come you recommend Oxy Wing/Plate but DR STA, instead of sticking with the oxy one piece STA?

If you are neutral to a little naturally negative you will be close to properly weighted with a SS plate.

Al 80's are ~+4 lbs empty, and a 3mm full suit will be about +4. A medium SS plate and harness is about -6 lbs and a reg is about -2 lbs.

A STA is ballast (and expense) you very likely don't need, both in the water and out. Tank stability is a non issue with a properly designed plate and wing.

Tobin

Most STA's are 1-piece. Don't go with a 2-piece, they are a PITA. Any 1 piece is fine.

If you currently dive in a regular BC with only a little lead using an AL tank and the wetsuit you want to use with the BP/W, then you probably want an AL or plastic plate. You're going to drop at a minimum 6 lbs, probably closer to 8, going from a standard BC to a SS plate in the same suit/tank set up.

I went from 8-10 lbs in my standard BC to zero-2 lbs with the SS plate, AL tank, 3MM full suit. I'm now looking for an AL plate for use with a shorty and/or steel tanks.

An Oxycheq Mach V and Oxycheq single piece STA can be purchased for less than $320.00 (Wing about $260.00 and STA about $55.00 ). I don't think that is a substantial expense. Especially considering it gives the option of using the wing with any plate having the standard 11" whole spacing. I prefer the modular advantage over going with a propriatary system.

As for ballast, the DR light weight STA and the Oxy light weight STA weigh 12 oz. I don't see that as substantial ballast. There is also a skeletonized Oxy STA which weighs less.

Sorry if I mispoke -- I don't necessarily prefer to not have an STA (I've never used/not-used so don't have much basis) but from what I've read about the Mach V and DSS wings, they say "no STA needed, wing features roll control, etc." I just figured I'd be pushing overweighted with the SS plate alone, why add on the STA, especially since I'm going to be traveling with this.

It seems though that the STA provides more than just tank stability, so maybe I should reconsider.

Nemrod - out of curiosity, how come you recommend Oxy Wing/Plate but DR STA, instead of sticking with the oxy one piece STA?

I have explained that in the past in numerous threads. The Oxy STA is not a full section it's entire length. I prefer the full section so that I can cut additional slots. The DiveRite STA is also thin and light and of good quality. I am recommending the DiveRite plate and STA with the Oxy wing. There is also a cost factor involved.

DSCF0269.jpg

To more directly answer your question, I like the DiveRite STA with or without extra slots and I much prefer having a STA.

N

I'm also looking at the DSS Kydex and Travel Wing Package. Was curious, though, if you can use a DiveRite Aluminum Plate w/ a Mach V wing without an STA?

Sorry for the noob question but what is an STA? I have been able to figure out all of he other abreviations but not this one. Single Tank Attachment?

Hi All,

I'm heading off to Palau for three weeks in July and have been sold on the idea of dumping my Seaquest Balance for a BP/W setup.

I've been pouring over the threads here and reading up on various topics, but can't quite come to a conclusion as to what setup I should go with. I intend to dedicate this rig as my warm water / travel / 100% singles rig.

I'm relatively dense and can sink with very little weight in a shorty/AL80, so I think I'd like to stick with a steel full size plate instead of a kydex/travel plate, just to ensure I can sink without needing to bother with a belt or weight pockets.

I'm leaning towards using a DSS plate with a Mach V wing and a standard hog harness, sans STA. Does anyone dive this setup? Bad idea to skip the STA? Seems that with the Halcyon setup I'd need the STA would wind up with a heavier setup altogether.

Anything else I should strongly consider?

Thanks,
Todd

First off, I'm very jealous you are going to palau!

As for using a steel setup, I would say go with AL, especially since you said you are dense. I'm the same way, i barely used hardly any weight even with a normal BCD and 3mm full wetsuit. With my AL BP/W I use 4 pounds for trim on my tank straps and sink fine with 3mm full wetsuit and i sometimes wear a 3/5 hooded vest under that. don't think you will need the extra weight of a steel plate, especially if you travel a lot.

i'm definitely not as experienced as other with BP/W setups, but i have a hammerhead bp with hog harness and a oxycheq mach v wing. i use a diverite sta, just cause i like it, but got the nemrod mod so my tank sits lower. just my 2 cents.

I would Keep the Balance, and use it for travel.

If you are set on a BP/W setup, I'd go with a Kydex/Alum plate. Weight restrictions for international travel can be 35lbs. Not good.

For the rest, it's really up to you, but I'd suggest avoiding the big H, and going with the less expensive DSS, or Mach V.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom