Halcyon Fit and Comfort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
I'm a bit confused ... we're just talking about a harness here, right? Why should Halcyon's 2" webbing be any more expensive (or top notch) than anyone else's 2" webbing? I mean, it's just webbing!

This whole conversation is about a standard harness ... other than the little blue H on the webbing, what's different between Halcyon's harness and one that you can build yourself by purchasing 12 feet or so of nylon webbing at your local hardware store?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I just got a Halcyon SS plate and webbing (with the new blue H's LOL) and if I compare it to the ReefScuba webbing I got...Well..The ReefScuba is a lot (and by a bunch) stiffer to the new Halcyon webbing.

NWGratefulDiver:
I'm a bit confused ... we're just talking about a harness here, right? Why should Halcyon's 2" webbing be any more expensive (or top notch) than anyone else's 2" webbing? I mean, it's just webbing!

This whole conversation is about a standard harness ... other than the little blue H on the webbing, what's different between Halcyon's harness and one that you can build yourself by purchasing 12 feet or so of nylon webbing at your local hardware store?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm not saying that you can't get the equivalent of Halcyon webbing cheaper elsewhere; but beware that there are multiple grades of webbing, some which are woven too loose, tending to wear where it runs through the backplate.

Poorly chosen webbing will wear out prematurely and/or slip more easily through the 'weight' retainers used to hold the webbing in place.

Both times I've bought no-name webbing harnesses, the harness has shown sever abrasion after little over 50 dives per webbing (double 104s plus stage bottle put a lot of strain on the harness on the surface).

My Halcyon webbing has held up for a lot more than that by now; H obviously made a better choice in webbing material.

/Peo

Yeah ... I know what you mean. There are different grades of webbing ... but there are also equivalent grades for different prices.

And unless you really want to pay for the little blue H, you can get the same result by either soaking the stiff stuff in fabric softener overnight, or put a few dives on it. It'll soften right up ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

MechDiver:
I like to think that my webbing may have been touched by JJ himself. Makes me all warm and fuzzy

Aside from that. I have a roll of webbing that is stiff as a board, while my Halcyon harness is more suple. About the only thing I'd pay H for anymore...

Exactally! The webbing is more suple and it has a built in grommit so it makes the whole webbing process easier. The Halcyon Webbing is $16 C'mon that's not gonna kill you Bob.

It's better Webbing. Period.

CALI68:
Exactally! The webbing is more suple and it has a built in grommit so it makes the whole webbing process easier. The Halcyon Webbing is $16 C'mon that's not gonna kill you Bob.

It's better Webbing. Period.

Wow ... can't keep up with the quick responses ...

At any rate, tell ya what. I'll check it out tomorrow evening (will be diving with a few friendly folks at Cove 2 ... Peo, you gonna be there?).

If it's really that good, then perhaps I'll just replace my harnesses ... after all, can't be settling for the cheap stuff ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Caver95:
Why on earth do you do that?

My wife asked that to.

Exercise, and to keep the feel of them familiar. I also have two 30lb dumbells rigged up with snaps for my d-rings.

MechDiver:
I like to think that my webbing may have been touched by JJ himself. Makes me all warm and fuzzy

Aside from that. I have a roll of webbing that is stiff as a board, while my Halcyon harness is more suple. About the only thing I'd pay H for anymore...

:D LOL. Thanks for the laugh, MD.

NWGratefulDiver:
Yeah ... I know what you mean. There are different grades of webbing ... but there are also equivalent grades for different prices.

And unless you really want to pay for the little blue H, you can get the same result by either soaking the stiff stuff in fabric softener overnight, or put a few dives on it. It'll soften right up ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob, I'm with you on this one. You can get softer or stiffer webbing material from many sources to suit your preferences.

I object to the little blue Hs on the webbing material on the new harnesses from Halcyon. If I bought a Halcyon harness, I would pay extra for webbing without the Hs. I don't like wearing a free advertisement for a company's products. That's one just my pet peeves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom