Halcyon inflator ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, here are some pics of different inflators:

1) A pre-recall Halcyon SS inflator, notice no extra ring where the inflator button is (not made anymore)
04209a.jpg

2) A post-recall Halcyon SS inflator, notice the extra ring where the inflator button is (also not made anymore)
IMG_1793.jpg

3) The new nickel-plated inflator. Available on Halcyon wings for an extra charge (these are easly identifiable by the serial number on the unit)
halcyon-inflator01.jpg

4) The new plastic inflator shipping standard with all Halcyon wings.
IMG_1790.jpg

5) A plastic inflator manufactured by many other companies and used on many other wings / BCD's (notice the difference than the above inflator)
inflatorhoseassysm.jpg

Hope this helps,

As Mat4020 stated before, the wings are no longer shipping with the stainless inflator. They now come with a plastic inflator with an upgrade for the nickel plated brass.

Any of the new ones shipping out will have the plastic inflator. If you saw one with the SS inflator it has more than likely been sitting in the shop for a month or two. They started shipping out with the plastic inflator sometime around the beginning of the year.

Your LDS probably just has old stock, these changes are at most a 2 months old.

LG Diver:
OK- maybe I'm misinformed, but I was looking at a new Eclipse 40 at my LDS and it has what look like SS buttons on the inflator. Are you saying that these are a different animal altogether from the SS inflators that were recalled? The Halcyon website lists the "Precision inflator" (nickel plated brass) as an upgrade, so I'd doubt if this is what's on the one at my lds.

Thanks. I haven't looked closely enough at the unit in the lds to tell if it's a post-recall SS inflator or the new nickel-plated brass unit, but it's definitely not the plastic inflator. Is the ring on the button bezel a reliable way to tell the difference? If it is in fact a post-recall SS inflator, should I steer clear of it? It's entirely possible that they still have it on the floor even though it's not made any more, as I don't get the sense that they move a lot of these.

Yes, the ring is key in knowing if it is post-recall, or pre-recall. To tell the pre-recall from the new nickel-plated look for a serial number engraved in it.

The picture of the post-recall inflator I posted is mine. I use it all the time on my 55lb Explorer when diving caves in double 104's. I have yet to encounter a problem with it, and would not dive it in a cave if I didnt trust it.

LG Diver:
Thanks. I haven't looked closely enough at the unit in the lds to tell if it's a post-recall SS inflator or the new nickel-plated brass unit, but it's definitely not the plastic inflator. Is the ring on the button bezel a reliable way to tell the difference? If it is in fact a post-recall SS inflator, should I steer clear of it? It's entirely possible that they still have it on the floor even though it's not made any more, as I don't get the sense that they move a lot of these.

Thanks all. Sounds like I should be reasonably comfortable diving a post-recall SS inflator. Maybe I'll throw one of Tobin's cool little inflator hose caps on there so I can quickly pop off the hose with thick gloves on in case of a leak.

fwiw - My explorer wing with SS inflator had 2 dives on it when it started sticking (post recall inflator) I contacted my LDS, they called Halcyon and were told that it needed to be dissasembled, lubed and reassembled. I had the option of sending it in to them or doing it myself... I did it myself. I like the inflator's speed, but for a product to arrive needing servicing did not leave a good impression of them.

My Pioneer started doing the same thing after about 60 dives - I took it apart and cleaned it all in a vinegar solution, neutralized, lubed and reassembled - works fine now. From now on I'll probably just service the inflator buttons every 30-40 dives.

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
From now on I'll probably just service the inflator buttons every 30-40 dives.

Thats what I find myself doing. It is not that big of a deal to me, however, I can see it being a problem if you are not a DIY type.

Sweet i just looked at mine , its the new nickel one

Ahh, I think I'm wrong with one thing, some of the old inflators have serial numbers on them, so Im not exactly sure how to tell the difference between the nickel-plated ones and the SS ones. Ill try to find this out tomorrow and let you know.

Sorry if I mislead anyone,
Matt

terrasmak:
Sweet i just looked at mine , its the new nickel one

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom