Halcyon vs. XS Scuba Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie or anyone else... do you have a pic of the XS Scuba straps attached to Jets? I'm curious to see just how much more *bulky* they are than the Halcyon's.

(If you don't mind waiting that long) I can post a couple of comparison pics for you after the 20th.

Here's my feedback on the XS Spring Straps: It's nice to have a design that changes for different types of fins. But they have a problem in that there is a bit of plastic in them. The pin would still keep the fin straps somewhat secure if the plastic broke, but what's the point of paying for steel fin straps if they have plastic bit that can break?

Spring straps have the "steel does not break" advantage. But they have the "cannot adjust" disadvantage. If the "add frangible plastic bits" disadvantage is with both rubber straps and spring straps, then what is the advantage gained with spring straps? (If you use Jet Fins, you probably gave up on the "adjusting" part anyway.)

FWIW, I have a a pair of XS Scuba spring straps I will sell you cheap. Find the lowest online price, and subtract 1/3, and I will send them to you. Never been wet. I had to wait a month and a half to get a replacement part that came defective with them, though. I bought them for the "fits many fins" design. But that was before I played with them, and saw they used a plastic bit for support of the pins.

Now I am fairly convinced that the Piranha Dive Mfg design is the way to go (if you use side post fins), if you want to use spring straps. Their design puts the spring's hook directly on the side post.

I have never had to cancel a dive because of a broken strap (Because that's what save a dive kits are for.) But I have had to cancel a dive because of lost or broken plastic bits of the fin buckles. Usually the diver unbuckles the clip after the first dive, and the bit falls off the post. (Because not all fins use the same buckle design, you may not be able to substitute.) So I am not big on the idea of a spring strap that has plastic bits. They cannot go missing but they can break.

All research being piled in, I think the idea of using a bungie cord might be the best overall (if you want to avoid regular straps for whatever reason). But that still relies on the metal buckles from a jet fin. And I am not sure (because I have never tried it) how it would work with a traditional side post design fin. On a side post fin design, the Piranha "spring hooks directly to the side post" design woud be best, it seems. A side advantage would be the fact that you would not have the cutting edge that the XS Scuba design has.

I don't know anyone that has used spring straps long term, so I have no idea if that cutting edge does cause problems, but it sure looks like it would.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. :)

Vie, thanks for the offer to produce a pic, and beanojones, thanks for the offer of the XS Scuba straps. I visited an LDS today and had a look at the XS Scuba straps. They look OK, but I've ordered a pair from Wayward Son. Unlike Halcyon, he stands behind his product and has offered to replace the delrin bit in the unlikely event it breaks. I'll post a pic next month once I get the fins back in case anyone is curious to see his straps.

FYI:
The use of plastic (injected molded Delrin) on our Spring Straps serves as a cosmetic cover only. The only added function is to keep the spring attachment centered. The attachment (support) of the spring to the attachment buckle is with 316 stainless steel bolts and SS Nyloc nuts. After sales exceeding 10.000 pair of spring straps I have yet to receive one complaint or return for a broken injected molded Delrin part. If you break one give me a call I'll send you out a replacement part without cost to you.

XS Scuba Spring Straps include three sets of attachment buckles, allowing attachment to "Old School" fins, most common Large Post fins and Small Post Atomic fins. With the "Old School" fins once the traditional buckle is removed the new stainless steel buckle is bolted to the fin with SS bolts and Nyloc nuts. When attaching to Large and Small post fins, four additional SS bolts and Nyloc nuts are included to keep the SS attachment buckles "locked" in place. This prevents the in & out and forward & back slop.

More detail of our Spring Straps can be viewed here XS Scuba Fin Spring Straps

Attachments

• IMG_3392.JPG
    IMG_3392.JPG
    335.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3394.jpg
    IMG_3394.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3399.jpg
    IMG_3399.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3401.jpg
    IMG_3401.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC00868.jpg
    DSC00868.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00869.jpg
    DSC00869.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 90
Thanks for the pics and taking time to post, Mike! :)

Unlike Halcyon, he stands behind his product and has offered to replace the delrin bit in the unlikely event it breaks.
I would be very, very surprised if Halcyon "didn't stand behind their products".

Nemrod posted on the problem before. One (or more) of the delrin ends broke. He tried but was unable to get Halcyon to do anything about them. I sent him a set of my ends so he could fix them.

I've got Wayward Son's spring straps on a pair of Jets and a pair of Turtles. They are fantastic. He made both pairs to precise measurements and they fit me perfectly. Very comfortable and rock steady secure. I would recommend them to anyone.

I've also noticed when I wear them, folks always ask where I got them cause they look so dang good.

IMG_0156.jpg

Love the XS Scuba fit much better than my OMS Spring straps on my drysuit fins, I have heard there can be a problem with the tab breaking off the XS springs but so far so good with mine

The XS springs seem to be well made. I think the delrin is new since the last time I saw a pair, nice touch. The pull tab is definitely new, also nice. I've had some divers who would would like that. Sometimes hand strength or other issues makes the lack of something extra to grab a problem.

Back
Top Bottom