Halcyon vs. XS Scuba Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it's sorta funny. I made my 1st set of springs bc I just wanted to try them out & see what the deal was. I didn't want to pay $80 (at that time, it was rare to find them much cheaper) & I like to make things. So I made a set & started using them.

After a few months I tried diving with fins that had adjustable straps & buckles, drove me friggin' NUTS, LOL Couldn't wait to get back to my springs. I started making them for other divers. Now I've sent out a largish pile of springs, the closest being right here in AL to guys I dive with, across the country including NY, FL, CA, AK & HI, and the farthest set went to Singapore.

Doesn't matter really to me whether you use mine or someone else's, I think most people will like springs better than stock straps & now there are a lot more affordable options for them than there were just 4 years ago.

There's always someone who ends up on the other side, so don't toss the old straps & buckles. You may decide that you like them better & want to switch back, so keep them in a safe place, just in case.

IMG_0156.jpg

Love the XS Scuba fit much better than my OMS Spring straps on my drysuit fins, I have heard there can be a problem with the tab breaking off the XS springs but so far so good with mine
Thanks for posting a pic, David! I'm not sure where in Canada you are, but I saw a pair of XS Scuba straps in a LDS in Vancouver and they didn't have the pull tab. Old stock perhaps... Nice-looking straps though. :)

IMG_0156.jpg

Love the XS Scuba fit much better than my OMS Spring straps on my drysuit fins, I have heard there can be a problem with the tab breaking off the XS springs but so far so good with mine

Ha! Don't mean to get a little sidetracked, but that is my exact setup. I saw the picture and thought you took a picture of my fin! :rofl3:

I am really happy with my XS Scuba spring straps (as well as my Slipstreams). I have had some times where the nylon webbing would scrunch up on one side, but it was never an issue. I think it happened a couple of times while I was carrying them to the beach. I would just straighten it out before putting them on.

:zen:

Ha! Don't mean to get a little sidetracked, but that is my exact setup. I saw the picture and thought you took a picture of my fin! :rofl3:

I am really happy with my XS Scuba spring straps (as well as my Slipstreams). I have had some times where the nylon webbing would scrunch up on one side, but it was never an issue. I think it happened a couple of times while I was carrying them to the beach. I would just straighten it out before putting them on.

:zen:

Sorry Buck.

It wasn't the nylon that was scrunched up it was your brain.:popcorn:

Unlike Halcyon, he stands behind his product and has offered to replace the delrin bit in the unlikely event it breaks.
I can't speak to the specific experience that you all are describing regarding the spring straps, but I did want to address the issue of Halcyon "not standing behind their products".

I was in EE this past weekend with a friend, who had an old-style Scout light where the clear plastic lens had cracked. Specifically, the "lens" part had partially separated from the threaded "collar" part, causing the light to flood. He showed it to the guys behind the counter, who asked him a couple of questions about it and promptly replaced the damaged part, free of charge. The kicker is that this was a light that he had purchased some months before from EE as a "blem", because it was actually a discontinued item.

That kind of service has been my personal experience with every type of warranty or repair issue (which have actually been very few in number) that I have ever had with a Halcyon product. So I don't know what's going on with the spring straps - maybe there was some kind of miscommunication on what exactly what the problem was.

For whatever that is worth ...

Vie, thanks for the offer to produce a pic...

Sorry it took me all this time...

Here are a couple of Halcyon and XS comparison pics, FYI.

Attachments

• H_XS.jpg
    H_XS.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 123
  • H_XS_detail.jpg
    H_XS_detail.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 110
I can't speak to the specific experience that you all are describing regarding the spring straps, but I did want to address the issue of Halcyon "not standing behind their products".

I was in EE this past weekend with a friend, who had an old-style Scout light where the clear plastic lens had cracked. Specifically, the "lens" part had partially separated from the threaded "collar" part, causing the light to flood. He showed it to the guys behind the counter, who asked him a couple of questions about it and promptly replaced the damaged part, free of charge. The kicker is that this was a light that he had purchased some months before from EE as a "blem", because it was actually a discontinued item.

That kind of service has been my personal experience with every type of warranty or repair issue (which have actually been very few in number) that I have ever had with a Halcyon product. So I don't know what's going on with the spring straps - maybe there was some kind of miscommunication on what exactly what the problem was.

For whatever that is worth ...

Halcyon does stand behind it's stuff. I've only had one issue with a SMB and they replaced it free, no problem. The guys at Halcyon know if it's a defective product or if you broke it... :palmtree: Bob

Thanks for posting a pic, David! I'm not sure where in Canada you are, but I saw a pair of XS Scuba straps in a LDS in Vancouver and they didn't have the pull tab. Old stock perhaps... Nice-looking straps though. :)

I Live on the Quebec / Ontario border my play ground are the wrecks of the St Lawrence River and Lake Ontario.

Back
Top Bottom