Halcyon Wing inflator hose ? What works ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowtieman427

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be getting a used Halcyon BP/W. Eclipse 40# lift. Noticed that on a friends Halcyon BP/W that the male end of the wing infator is a little bigger in diameter and that a standard BC inflator hose does not fit. Any ideas what inflator hoses work on Halcyon inflators ? Any ideas where to get one ? what length works best for you and why ?
thanks in advance

....sounds like maybe your friend who already has Halcyon experience might help you answer those questions ? While I do own/dive some Halcyon gear , I don't use their wings, but I was unaware Halcyon used a unique/proprietary fitting there ?

If you don't have the Halcyon wing in your possession yet, I'm going to suggest that either you didn't take a close enough look at the power inflater assembly on the Halcyon wing or you have a non-standard inflater hose.

The Halcyon power inflater on my wing has a standard connection. I've used a couple of different inflater hoses over the years. Most recently, I purchased this 22-inch hose made by XS Scuba (linked to Scuba.com website). I purchased mine for $25 from Scubatoys, but I don't see it on the company website anymore. I especially like the connector on the end. Very easy to operate with thick wetsuit gloves or drygloves. :)

I have standard Miflex BC hoses on my Halcyon wings and they fit fine, an 18" on my 30# Eclipse and a 22" on my 40# Evolve.

....sounds like maybe your friend who already has Halcyon experience might help you answer those questions ? While I do own/dive some Halcyon gear , I don't use their wings, but I was unaware Halcyon used a unique/proprietary fitting there ?

This is how I found out about he size difference. Friend got one and did not have the inflator went to LDS and they went through this long explanation how Halcyon is a little bit bigger. I do not have mine yet, just bought it off boards and it is shipping. My other friend said he thought that ONLY Halcyon ones will fit. Form other posts on here it looks like others fit fine also.
This is why a asked the question and was hoping to see if other ones do fit and from there I can way out my best options on an inflator hose.
I know my Scuba pro with Air II is different from my wife's Zeagal.

Thanks for the responce. You and others are very helpful

This is how I found out about he size difference. Friend got one and did not have the inflator went to LDS and they went through this long explanation how Halcyon is a little bit bigger. I do not have mine yet, just bought it off boards and it is shipping. My other friend said he thought that ONLY Halcyon ones will fit. Form other posts on here it looks like others fit fine also.
This is why a asked the question and was hoping to see if other ones do fit and from there I can way out my best options on an inflator hose.
I know my Scuba pro with Air II is different from my wife's Zeagal.
Could you please clarify what part you think is non-standard on the Halcyon power inflater assembly?
Is it the part that connects to the low pressure inflater hose? (quick-disconnect fitting)
Or is it the end of the corrugated hose to which the power inflater is attached?

I think your friend's BCD issue had to do with the diameter of the Halcyon corrugated hose. AFAIK, the Halcyon wing uses a 1-inch standard diameter corrugated hose. The vast majority of BCDs and wings use 1-inch diameter corrugated hoses. A handful of BCD manufacturers (Aqualung/Seaquest and Oceanic) still use 3/4-inch diameter corrugated hoses.

Your AirII octo/inflater assembly uses a non-standard quick-disconnect fitting. I have found this to be the case with several of the octo/inflater combos. I believe the reason for this is that the octo/inflater combos require a larger diameter inflater hose, which provides greater flow to the mouthpiece for breathing purposes. One can purchase an adapter that converts the AirII inflater hose to a standard BCD inflater hose (so that your reg setup can be used with a BCD that has a standard power inflater).

For assemblies functioning solely as power inflater to the wing/BCD bladder, the majority use the standard quick-disconnect. I use the identical (standard) LP inflater hoses on my Halcyon wing, Deep Sea Supply wing, and Seaquest BCDs.

Of course, LP inflater hoses and corrugated hoses come in many different lengths. Generally, new BCDs and wings are sold with the appropriate length LP inflater hose matched to the corrugated hose.

Hope this clarifies things...

I have a Halcyon Pioneer wing. It uses the standard low pressure connector.

Ron

Could you please clarify what part you think is non-standard on the Halcyon power inflater assembly?
Is it the part that connects to the low pressure inflater hose? (quick-disconnect fitting)
Or is it the end of the corrugated hose to which the power inflater is attached?

I think your friend's BCD issue had to do with the diameter of the Halcyon corrugated hose. AFAIK, the Halcyon wing uses a 1-inch standard diameter corrugated hose. The vast majority of BCDs and wings use 1-inch diameter corrugated hoses. A handful of BCD manufacturers (Aqualung/Seaquest and Oceanic) still use 3/4-inch diameter corrugated hoses.

Your AirII octo/inflater assembly uses a non-standard quick-disconnect fitting. I have found this to be the case with several of the octo/inflater combos. I believe the reason for this is that the octo/inflater combos require a larger diameter inflater hose, which provides greater flow to the mouthpiece for breathing purposes. One can purchase an adapter that converts the AirII inflater hose to a standard BCD inflater hose (so that your reg setup can be used with a BCD that has a standard power inflater).

For assemblies functioning solely as power inflater to the wing/BCD bladder, the majority use the standard quick-disconnect. I use the identical (standard) LP inflater hoses on my Halcyon wing, Deep Sea Supply wing, and Seaquest BCDs.

Of course, LP inflater hoses and corrugated hoses come in many different lengths. Generally, new BCDs and wings are sold with the appropriate length LP inflater hose matched to the corrugated hose.

Hope this clarifies things...

It does and thanks a ton. The LDS my friend went to mentioned the "quick-disconnect fitting" on a Halcyon is bigger then standard and they even swaped out the BC hose on the rental reg he was getting. They even showed us how the one that was on the reg at the time would not fit, they fitted a new hose and told him that he may have to get a Halcyon one as others may not work if he were to buy one.
Mentioned this to another friend and he stated that he thought ONLY a Halcyon "quick-disconnect fitting" would work.
Form the responces there looks to be more options out there.

There are many inflators made in the market and many of them will not interchange with other hoses. If you are not sure and you do not want to waste your time and money go to the local LDS and find one that fits, as simple as that. Halcyon has had 3 different inflators on their line. I own 3 different Halcyon wings and I have found different "non' Halcyon hoses that fit all of them.

Jim

It does and thanks a ton. The LDS my friend went to mentioned the "quick-disconnect fitting" on a Halcyon is bigger then standard and they even swaped out the BC hose on the rental reg he was getting. They even showed us how the one that was on the reg at the time would not fit, they fitted a new hose and told him that he may have to get a Halcyon one as others may not work if he were to buy one.
Mentioned this to another friend and he stated that he thought ONLY a Halcyon "quick-disconnect fitting" would work.
Form the responces there looks to be more options out there.
Either your friend's LDS was grossly misinformed...or the shop was trying to sell some Halcyon-branded inflater hoses. :shakehead:

I'm sure that if you called up Halcyon Customer Service a rep could confirm that the quick-disconnect fitting on the Halcyon power inflater is "standard."

If you have any other inflater hoses available, you could just try them out on your "new" Halcyon wing before buying the Halcyon-brand inflater hose.

Back
Top Bottom