• Don't Care

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • Its a Little Much

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Hell No!

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
you mean to tell me you would turn down the opporunity to see the one and only O-ring in a speedo???

P.S. How'd the weekend date turn out???
I did see him in a speedo, hense why I NEVER want to see another man in them! :wacko:

Our date was priceless!

chickdiver once bubbled...
If they really wanted to give themselves credibilty, they should pick a woman diver and do a layout that actually has something to do with diving.

I think this is a great idea. I know several Ladies whose accomplishments would make for great reading. I agree, show us the "real world of diving".

I have no problem with T & A or with "glamor shots" but its a piss poor way to sell a bad magazine. I was lucky, I was given issue #1 by a friend who had gotten a bunch of copies from the publisher to give to tech divers and local tech shops.

All in all I wasn't very impressed with the mag. I'll stick with Advanced Diver, the rest, including this one, are pretty much trash.

WW

o2 clean once bubbled...
I did see him in a speedo, hense why I NEVER want to see another man in them! :wacko:
Our date was priceless!
No it wasn't - you bought him in an auction... Unless you're talking about value received when you say "priceless" :wink:
As for "never want to see another man in a Speedo after seeing O-ring in one" LOL! Beautifully ambiguous!

But she's right - most men should NOT appear in public in a Speedo (whether O-ring is an exception I do not know).

As for the female T&A under discussion - I have no objections to pictures of women in bikinis (why not? I dive in a bikini - under two 7mm layers of wetsuit... - just don't expect me to pay attention to them unless I'm shopping for a new suit myself:rolleyes: ) but from what I gather from those of you who read the print version and from what I could read/see online, the whole mag is fluff, a waste of time/money and possibly an insult to divers. As Pez sez - there's probably better sources for T&A pictures of girls in bikinis (like the Sun newspapers in Canada - not the Herald, Cherry! - how are these guys supposed to find it online of you get the name wrong?). The "Local Girl" photo in the online version doesn't even look all that flattering to the poor model (red is not a good colour choice for her hair and skin tone) - bikini T&A fans would be far better sticking to the SI swimsuit issue, IMHO.
Not being catty here just being... cat. (Who finds that this board and links from it to various websites has provided far more information and pictures... of fish than any diving magazine) :kitty:

I'm pretty much indifferent about "T&A" in magazines, but as I was looking through the website I'd have to agree that it doesn't seem like a good publication and I don't think I'll be spending my few, hard-earned, dollars on it

No it wasn't - you bought him in an auction... Unless you're talking about value received when you say "priceless"
As for "never want to see another man in a Speedo after seeing O-ring in one" LOL! Beautifully ambiguous!

But she's right - most men should NOT appear in public in a Speedo (whether O-ring is an exception I do not know).
IMHO, no man should EVER wear a Speedo unless he is in a sport where the wearing of one is a necessity...and then it should be hastily hidden under a towel or removed as soon as said sport has reached its culmination. Wearing a banana hammock is just plain wrong...

chickdiver,
I have to agree with you. I received a FREE copy with a mail order and when I looked at the cover and the high quality photo-grade paper I said "Ahh, finally, a REAL magazine dedicated to technical diving." Upon opening it, I can't say I was that impressed with its articles and photo content. While I love all kinds of stories and dive photo' seeing pics of a couple of divers sporting full face masks wasn't my idea of 'technical diving.' Secondly, I said to my wife "Gee, if I wanted to see girls in bathing suits, I'd buy Playboy" No don't get me wrong, I'm 100% male and love it - but do we really have to result to exploitation to sell a mag?

I expected articles on deco diving, maybe the Doria or something. OK, the articles on lost B-52's and such are great - but I felt it just lacked a real journalistic quality.

Disappointed again...

I don't know the magazine in question and didn't spend a lot of time on the website, but I didn't see anything offensive while I was there.
I don't mind pictures of women in bikinis, but it won't make me buy a magazine. This seems a recurring topic in more than diving publications. My favourite sailing mag got blasted by a bunch of women last year after a cover shot of a shapely young lady in a fairly small bikini, sitting on the foredeck.
The comments all made it seem as if that was all they ever had on the cover. The next month the editor published a page with thumbnails of all the covers to date (40 odd), 3 (including the one in question) had ladies in swimsuits, 5 had men in swimsuits and the rest had scenery and sailboats, some with couples, some to distant to make out such details. One company even cited the controversy as a reason not to advertise in the magazine.
From the amount of time I've spent on dive sites and on sail boats, young ladies (and older ones too) in bikinis are not all that rare, so why should we be surprised when they show up in magazine photos?

Pez de Diablo once bubbled...
I wouldn't buy the magazine for the diving and there are better magazines for pictures of girls.

With much better looking girls at that. :D

Though I've always been partial to a well fitting wetsuit. I like to have something left to the imagination.

Marc :jester:

chickdiver once bubbled...
OK, I actually bought the 1st issue of it, mostly because it had an picture on the cover that I thought it might be entertaining, but also because I have spent some time on Saipan and was interested in the article on diving there.

So, 1st of all, the bottom bit of text on the cover is "The Real World of Diving" The articles were pretty . They had some great subject matter.

2nd of all, on page 13 is a picture of a divemaster working on a boat. The caption reads "Divemaster Liza Greenberg knows the ropes" The picture has visual interest, rear -view of a woman in a bikini. Not particularly offensive, but borderline. These types of shots appear with printable material.

3rdly- the "Local Girls" section. They ask women (theoretically divers) to submit photos and bio's on themselves for inclusion. The Local Girl pctured in this issue is pictured topless in every photgraph. I find it intresting fluff. they really wanted to give themselves credibilty, pick a woman diver and do a layout that has something to do with diving. I am not opoosed to the concept.

In my (humble) opinion, this looks like a diving magazine Frankly, I consider that female.

A Little bit of "snipping", and your comments are pretty true!:D

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
chickdiver,
I have to agree with you. I received a FREE copy with a mail order and when I looked at the cover and the high quality photo-grade paper I said "Ahh, finally, a REAL magazine dedicated to technical diving." Upon opening it, I can't say I was that impressed with its articles and photo content. While I love all kinds of stories and dive photo' seeing pics of a couple of divers sporting full face masks wasn't my idea of 'technical diving.' Secondly, I said to my wife "Gee, if I wanted to see girls in bathing suits, I'd buy Playboy" No don't get me wrong, I'm 100% male and love it - but do we really have to result to exploitation to sell a mag?

I expected articles on deco diving, maybe the Doria or something. OK, the articles on lost B-52's and such are great - but I felt it just lacked a real journalistic quality.

Disappointed again...

Wow, it seems everyone is pretty "disappointed" in the magazine. I happen to really like it a lot! I am a technical diver as well as an everything-else diver. I think that for once, I get some stories that actually apply to how I travel... adventure/lifestyle diving.
The magazine never proported to be a "technical" diving publication, and doesn't tout strictly technical diving articles. I'm just fed up with magazines (in general, but especially scuba ones) that I can't find the next section of the article I was reading because it seems like a choose your own adventure from the days of yesteryear due to the "please turn to page.... ect" three or four times in an article due to "advertising constraints"
I opened up a copy of "immersed" this month and almost threw up - only 80 pages of magazine and almost EVERY ONE had an advertisement on it... and I PAY for this?

At least DIVERS is putting decent stories out WITHOUT taking up too many advertisements. I happen to like the local girls too... and all the controversey.

And as for the first issue... did anyone get the second one? Seems like a lot of people are quick to judge...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom