Halloween Swampdiving Success!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick: Will do.

and thank Yuko again for me for organizing all of the prize bags. She did a great job and was a big help!:thumb:

The Texas Swamp Divers are a great bunch of folks! Beast and I had a blast this weekend. We arrived at Mansfield Dam around 2pm and after a bit of confusion at the main gate, found our campsite and started setting up camp. After a bit a fella in bib overalls and flip-flops with a chaw of tobaccy between cheek and gum, saunters across the grass asking for da Beast. It’s ScubaTexasTony with a big cheesy grin on his face. And that grin never faded all weekend!

While we were finishing the campsite, TexasMike, Iguana Don, and Texass arrived at the bottom of the hill. Mike is younger than I expected, Don’s scales are well hidden and Des’ humor gave him away. When meeting cyber dive friends for the first time, it’s always cool to see if your mind’s picture matches reality!

After hiding the pumpkins, Mike, Don and Des left to meet everyone in town for supper and to party on 6th street. Beast, Tony and I opted for chili dogs, and songs round the campfire. Tony brought his guitar and serenaded us and the multitudes of wild cats until the wee hours.

After Beasts’ breakfast tacos, we crept down the hill to meet everyone as they arrived. Mike had his organizers hat on and was quickly getting waivers signed, t-shirts sold, everything running smoothly. The race was on to find the 100 pumpkins hidden Friday. Yoko, RicHead’s wife, was graciously in charge of checking everyone in and out of the water for safety checks. She also helped organize the prizes.

Saturday afternoon we started cashing in our pumpkins. There were some very nice prizes and it was like Christmas morning, waiting to see what you would get! Some folks found more than others but I think everyone came away with something.

Vettster, DeadEye and Roger joined us at the campgrounds. A night dive was planned but Beast and I never made it. Sitting around the campfire in warm, dry clothes with a cold beverage, good new friends and listening to Tony finished the day. And don’t forget the marshmallows. But watch out for those stainless steel potties….they are just plain rude in cold weather!

Beast and I count this as one of the best weekends we’ve had. We’re looking forward to more Texas Swamp Diver weekends and getting to know everyone even better.

Edited correction.... Don and I sat out the night dive while Tony, Beast, Vettster and Deadeye explored in the dark. Well, not quite dark as Beast and Vettster used Don's new HID lights.

Thanks for the nice re-cap, Dee...

I've already decided that next Halloween, we are going to ditch the hotels and camp. Save a bit of money and more than triple the fun.

Doug told me that Cap'n Randy is now the head honcho of B.A.D., so we might work with you two to get a deal for a trip out on the Rinn Boats this next spring/summer.

Camp? There weren't any whirlpools in those campgrounds! And I have yet to find one that matches my hiking boots and swimsuit. But I'm all for a cookout and a little guitar playing by Tony. I think next year we should check out the Oasis one night for dinner.

Everybody, I had a wonderful time. It was so great to put a face with a name! I'm working on an "event photo." Hopefully, it will be up by the end of the week.

Thanks to everyone who showed up, especially those who helped organize such a fun weekend!

Even though Michelle ended up with baby duty all weekend the three of us had a good time.

Tom

Good to hear from you again, Jimbo!

The water temp was in the mid 70's with no really discernible thermocline until about 90 feet. That says the lake is getting ready to turn over again.

As has been said over and over and over again, thank all of you guys for showing up and making our first big planned event a complete success.

A few specifics:

Tom for suggesting the thing in the first place!

Mike for starting the real planning and handing out of duties

Don for making the Neptune Divers announcements (making this legit, I suppose!) and for not showing his tongue to the OW class we shared the area with...

CavernQT and Seawolf for designing and working up the logo for the team

CaverQT again for finding the hotel us non-camping weenies stayed in.

Dee and Beast for organizing donations and for donating personally to the prizes

Catdiver for pounding the pavement in Austin.

Tom and Michelle for having business sense some of the rest of us lack.

Any others I may have forgotten who helped in the organization, I offer my sincerest apologies (if you know any, please add a post!). To everybody who showed up, you guys are exactly the sort of reason this is such a fun sport!

Here's to the next event, and even BIGGER things!

Deadeye,

I think I'm gonna lift one from Wal*Mart tonight when no one's looking.:wink:

BLT,
The water ranged from 72 to 74 degrees. Brrrr!

Hey Tab, low 70s cold? Felt pretty dang good Sat. night. Course that mammoth climb always warmed us up.
Echo the atta boys to all the organizers and to Beasts most excellent cookin'. Dee/Beast, I consider you guys family and had the best time in ages. To those wanting the .zip file of all pictures I took, drop a line and I'll be glad to forward them to you.

Looking ahead to the next one, and to my best dive buddy, although with a slightly less geared out rig ,(Vettster), keep in touch and be safe down south. btw, the guy has gills, or breathes recycled air from his bc....lol

:jester: tony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom