Halycon Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey am just starting to buy my gear, after doing some dives over the last year. Am intereste din buying the halycon back plate with either an eclipse or pioner wing. Would anyone else suggest that this is a decent bc to get, or do you guys have another choice for me to look into. The only think I don;t like about this bc is the price. Also I am plannign on diving only single for the next little while, and also weigh in at arounf 250lbs. Which leads to my next question how much lift woudl I need. I figured around 40#s, but I am still a newbie to the sport.

Steve

aaen:
Hey am just starting to buy my gear, after doing some dives over the last year. Am intereste din buying the halycon back plate with either an eclipse or pioner wing. Would anyone else suggest that this is a decent bc to get, or do you guys have another choice for me to look into. The only think I don;t like about this bc is the price. Also I am plannign on diving only single for the next little while, and also weigh in at arounf 250lbs. Which leads to my next question how much lift woudl I need. I figured around 40#s, but I am still a newbie to the sport.

Steve

I would get an Eclipse because I don't really think you can get a better setup, regardless of price. If you are diving wet with aluminum 80 tanks, 27lbs should be enough. How much weight do you wear and what type of exposure protection do you wear?

ElectricZombie:
I would get an Eclipse because I don't really think you can get a better setup, regardless of price. If you are diving wet with aluminum 80 tanks, 27lbs should be enough. How much weight do you wear and what type of exposure protection do you wear?

I LOVE my halcyon rig... I have the pioneer but the new eclipse look SWEET. on average I have not liked the design of other wings, the new OMS single tank bladders do look very comparable to the Halcyon ones, however they still use the older inflator, which I don't like.

All Halcyon wings now come standard with a Stainless Steel inflator too, which I have not seen anyone else offer.

Well I'd say look at an OxyCheq - either the Standard or Signature series, but then I would be biased.

Standard series if you want streamlining, Signature series if you own gear-chewing dogs.

WillAbbott:
I LOVE my halcyon rig... I have the pioneer but the new eclipse look SWEET. on average I have not liked the design of other wings, the new OMS single tank bladders do look very comparable to the Halcyon ones, however they still use the older inflator, which I don't like.

All Halcyon wings now come standard with a Stainless Steel inflator too, which I have not seen anyone else offer.

And now the new and improved OMS wings have passed the paper clip test...... I'll stay with my Eclipse.

ColdH20diving:
And now the new and improved OMS wings have passed the paper clip test...... I'll stay with my Eclipse.
Not trying to start a flamewar here, but the OMS shell is ballistic denier and the Halcyon's is not. You can push anything you want that is sharp through the Halcyon shell.

As for the puncture test: 1000 Denier is ballistic nylon (OMS), 1680 Denier is imported look-a-like and is not ballistic (Halcyon). I researched the difference back when I bought mine. Go to any textiles website and search on Denier.

There is a huge difference here in quality. BTW, 1000 is expensive and 1680 is cheap, so why is the Halcyon more expensive?

I compared the OMS and Halcyon single tank donuts and you can tell the difference in the material big time.

mempilot:
Not trying to start a flamewar here, but the OMS shell is ballistic denier and the Halcyon's is not. You can push anything you want that is sharp through the Halcyon shell.

As for the puncture test: 1000 Denier is ballistic nylon (OMS), 1680 Denier is imported look-a-like and is not ballistic (Halcyon). I researched the difference back when I bought mine. Go to any textiles website and search on Denier.

There is a huge difference here in quality. BTW, 1000 is expensive and 1680 is cheap, so why is the Halcyon more expensive?

I compared the OMS and Halcyon single tank donuts and you can tell the difference in the material big time.
What kind of OMS wing is it? I'm also planning to buy this one. Is it sufficient for diving with 7mm farmer john and single steel HP100 tank?

Katz:
What kind of OMS wing is it? I'm also planning to buy this one. Is it sufficient for diving with 7mm farmer john and single steel HP100 tank?
That's the one. I dive it with an OMS ss bp, a Faber steel 98 with H-valve, and various suits including dry and wet. 32# of lift will be plenty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom