Hammerhead Site or Lanai Cathedrals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[user]scubahawk27[/user]

Just post here, or PM scubahawk27 for more info. It's more of a hang out and dive with some cool people, not a credit card/web site kind of thing. Bring the GF and she can snorkel along on top while you scooter - when you head off to the far reefs, she can hang out, there should be lots of other snorkelers to hang out with - my wife did this and she had some nice turtle encounters, nice coral reef, and then went ashore and hung out on a nice little beach and waited for us to come back!

I think you will enjoy Lanai, we did Molokai and got lucky on the 2nd dive with the hammerheads, but other than that 10 thrilling minutes, the boat ride was long and rough, and the reef and diving was not as good as Lanai. The cathedral dives are great, and the 2nd tank over there is usually good as well! Lots of fish, and nice healthy coral!

Aloha Wellspun,

Love to take you out on a scooter dive. It really is more fun than anything I have done. I have yet to take anyone out that didnt say it was amazing. I don't have a web site, just keeping it small but if you are interested PM me.

Thanks for the nice words Steve and Sim. Can't wait to see you guys again.

I am 1 for 3 in trips to Molokai for the hammerheads in the last 3 years (2 trips cancelled/rerouted because of conditions), and the one time I made it there were 6-8 ft swells and 30ft viz. The normal trip took almost twice as long due to the rough seas. We saw a few silhouettes but no great encounters. Your milage may vary but if you only have one day I'd do Cathedrals just to make sure you get a good day of diving. On the other hand when I am there for a week, I will continue to try and get there to see the hammerheads.

They do exist and they exist in numbers, I saw a wall of hammerheads about 6 weeks ago there was some 250+ hammerheads nonstop for 20 mins.

i-rmrmVMB-L.png

IMG8154-L.jpg

There is more here Underwater Photos - stealthwater's Photos and all throughout my gallery.

SlicerDicer- great photos! Thanks for sharing.

Yep your welcome Merxlin, I am however on a Rebreather so that does modify the behavior to be less scared and lets us get very close.

How close is close you ask?

I will let you be the judge of that.

i-vBRM8Q5-X3.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom