Hand signal question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's funny how the group I dive with has evolved hand signals that nobody else understands. Do you all have that with your dive buddies?
By the end of a weeklong trip, we hardly speak words to each other even when on terra firma. It is totally within our realm to say "Hey! I'm starving! Let's go see what there is to eat, then let's take a swim in the lagoon before we go shower off for the evening's festivities", all completely in hand signals. We have a litany of extremely rude-looking gestures, too, which often come in handy.

Oh, and yes, that signal means "boat" to us, too. We have our own way of saying "Where the #!&#@! is the boat"? in sign, too, whcih I won't describe here, since this is a family forum.
:D

O-ring once bubbled...
What does this mean? Hold your hands together like you are praying and then spread your hands apart at the finger side, keeping your palms together to make a "V" shape.

That's a sign for "boat".

R..

It is totally within our realm to say "Hey! I'm starving! Let's go see what there is to eat, then let's take a swim in the lagoon before we go shower off for the evening's festivities", all completely in hand signals. We have a litany of extremely rude-looking gestures, too, which often come in handy.

Hmmm... mental note: take slate with me and leave in shirt pocket in case I'm ever hanging out in New Jersey...:eek:ut:

Sounds like a visual of a clam opening...

If I remeber right, that sign was taught in my PADI OW class.

Then again, I could be wrong.......

When I saw the title of the thread "Hand Signal" and the originator "O-ring" I wasn't sure what to think...I was almost afraid....

Yeah, I agree....boat....it didn't make much sense to me at first, but I also think that it is the sign-language version of boat too...which is where I think it came from. A good number of u/w hand signlas I think came from sign language.....but I could just be spouting jibbrish.

Shape of the hull is better represented with cupped hands. That's the only sign for boat I've ever seen.

I could see it for clam or even seal (sea lion), but not boat.

detroit diver once bubbled...
If I remeber right, that sign was taught in my PADI OW class.

Then again, I could be wrong.......

I can't remember if we were taught *any* hand signals in my YMCA class....So long ago.

Maybe OOA was the only one...heh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom