Hand signal question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crossed index and middle finger:

In caving yes, that means "line"

Ed Robinson's teaches that if they point to something with their fingers crossed, it translates literally to mean "You're lucky to see this!"

Next week I'll see if they're still teaching this!

Roak

I do not know any thing about this hand signal.
I saw Ghost Ship last night, and I wonder if the person who gave you the signal was a ghost on the boat. I am saying this because you did not see him after that.

from a deaf friend:

Marcus Carr says:
what is the sign for "boat"
Marcus Carr says:
in sign language
Shaz says:
it's like the sign for "Book" but you bend the fingers to meet each other.
Marcus Carr says:
what does the sign for book look like
Shaz says:
you meet the pinkies to each other
Marcus Carr says:
so you cup your hands like if you were going to fill them with water?
Shaz says:
yea
Marcus Carr says:
do you move the hands, or hold them still?
Shaz says:
move them a bit
Shaz says:
why
Shaz says:
the tech asked me if I have tried flushing DNS on my machine
Marcus Carr says:
curious...on the scuba board a diver met another divers using a cupped hands, moving forward and back signal
Shaz says:
ut oh, raining outside, lol
Shaz says:
yea, that's the sign

Maybe I am misinterpreting, it's hard to tell sign language from descriptive text.
When it is described as opening a book but leaving fingertips touching, then moving arms once outward, that is the sign we use for boat. A deaf person taught me that.
I can imagine it is very easy to bastardize sign language, so whatever your dive buddy understands is what is important, after all. :)

detroit diver once bubbled...
If I remeber right, that sign was taught in my PADI OW class.

Then again, I could be wrong.......

I my OW class we learned "shark".

In my AOW class we learned "big <deleted>ing shark"

Cornfed

My buddy and i use a lot of sign language as hand signals. It is also pretty easy to learn the sign alpabet, which can come in handy. our sign for boat is the "b" in sign language. I also think that many divers would have problems understanding "our" scuba language. Its funny how it develops and changes between different groups of divers.

Zept once bubbled...
This is the sign I use (scroll down). I think it is the one several people have tried to describe, but not the one O-ring saw.

http://www.scubadiving.com/training/DLAP/janfeb99.shtml

Zept

Would ya'll consider these "standard". I learned different signals for "question" and "cut" which I think are better then the ones shown.

Cornfed

I have to say, this is one of the most entertaining threads on SB that I've read in a while...

I never thought that talking about UW signals would be so funny...

Or, maybe, its just that I am too tired and need some sleep...

Good Nite...

Back
Top Bottom