Hand signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who the heck does a stop at 5m? My stops are in multiples of 3 meters.
My safety stops' floor is at 5m, ceiling at 3m. Like it says in the OW book (I think...) and according to my computer's prescription.

That liberal 2m depth window is kinda nice to have for us who still bob a bit up and down when we do our safety stops in free water, instead of near a shallow bottom. If I were to take those safety stops at 3m sharp, I'd probably surface prematurely a bit too often for my own liking... :blush:

I doubt hand signals will be the solution. If the diver ignores dive plans they would seem just as likely to ignore signals. Maybe a long discussion about dive safety and buddy skills?

Your wife would likely not be happy if her relative were injured on your watch...

First of all, if he ignores the dive plan and the buddy system the only thing hand signals will get you is a hand gesture not covered in the OW manual.

Find out if he knows about the safety stop, he may have been sleeping in class or could be an old fart, like me, who was not trained to do them. I didn't know about them when daughter did one, I stuck around because I was her buddy, checking to see if she was ok, and it was explained to me topside.

In no way should you get directly in the line of fire, but the question shows you already know that.

It is time to educate your wife on how important the Safety Stop and Buddy System is to wellbeing of divers. Mention how much you like the in-laws and wouldn't want to have any issues in the water disrupt your relationship with them and so on...

If you have been married any length of time you should know how thick to spread the bull s**t in order to get the proper effect.

Good Luck
Bob
------------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

Could also have been a buoyancy control issue. Have a chat as Bob describes above. No sense diving with someone who might put you in a position of increased risk, no matter the relationship.

The other thing to consider...maybe your wife is trying to off you?

I usually dive with more advanced tech divers so this isn't usually isn't an issue as it's covered during the plan, but I've started to dive with a new stubborn buddy who seemed to ignore the plan that was discussed prior and skipped the 5 metre stop after we turned and called the dive. Is there a hand signal to use to show prior that we're heading up but to stop at 5 m?

I would offer the universal "middle finger" hand signal and not dive with him again. If you have a bad buddy, it is not your buddy's fault.

:wink:

It seems to me that this could have been handled very nicely by asking, after the dive, "Hey, what happened at 5 meters? I thought we were going to stop for a while there?" The response you get to that question could be, "Oh, is THAT what you were trying to signal?", in which case you talk about hand signals. Or it could be, "I decided I didn't want to do that," in which case you have a short discussion about whether your approaches to the dive are compatible enough to keep diving together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom