Hand signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually dive with more advanced tech divers so this isn't usually isn't an issue as it's covered during the plan, but I've started to dive with a new stubborn buddy who seemed to ignore the plan that was discussed prior and skipped the 5 metre stop after we turned and called the dive. Is there a hand signal to use to show prior that we're heading up but to stop at 5 m?

Yes ... if he knows the plan and chooses to ignore it the appropriate hand signal is an open palm making firm contact with the side of his head ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob again your the man that can inject humour into every conversation! We'll done :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added November 26th, 2013 at 08:46 AM ----------

Here's the update of the single comment that made me realise how much of an idiot I've been diving with:

"My tank is empty, you have two (I dive side mount) can't I use one of your spare tanks"

I like the "spare" word most of all.

Thank you universe for allowing him to say that! :) makes my case to my wife that much easier to discard him as a buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 fingers touching under the palm of the opposite hand and a stern level off sign if he doesn't appear to be holding position for the stop normally works. Or you could just put him on a leash....

Maybe if you continue holding stops and continue making him wait on the surface, the in-law will get sick of diving with you and problem solved!

I would probably (1) point to myself with the index finger, (2) extend my flat hand out palm-down and flex it horizontally at the wrist 3-4 times, (3) make a fist with the forearm up and palm facing the buddy as in stop or hold, and (4) wave bye-bye.

You could get verbose by pointing at your computer sometime during this cycle. That should get the idea across even if you didn't discuss signals or even speak the same language.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom