Hand tool shortage in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They took two little Allen wrenches from me once also. Like I’m a middle aged female MacGuyver and I’m gonna take the plane apart while inside it!!!

And fyi, by the time they’re taking away your tools you’ve been separated from your checked bags for 20 minutes. No way you’re going backwards to put a few tools in your checked bag. Stinks.

So I literally just went through security at the Coz airport and the confiscated my adjustable wrench, scuba multi-tool, and my screwdriver.

Just a heads up to anyone traveling soon. I guess they afraid you'll take the plane apart during your flight.

It was a really sweet wide jaw stainless steel wrench, too.
Tools have been restricted since 9-11-01. For a while nail clippers were not allowed. TSA has softened some, but it pays to check. Leaving Mexico is worse tho. Those security agents are required to operate at TSA standards, but they still have different rules.
Are those rules equally applicable to Mexican authorities?
Those security agents are required to operate at TSA standards, but they still have different rules.
Mexican authorities have rules?
Some are made up on the spot, but then ours can do that. BTW, tape is not allowed in carryon now, any kind.

Wasn't aware.
Thanks for posting that.
Me neither, until I lost partial rolls of high quality duct tape, 1" electric tape, and 2" electric tape. None of those needed to be in my carryon, and I don't know why I packed them that way, but never again.

So I literally just went through security at the Coz airport and the confiscated my adjustable wrench, scuba multi-tool, and my screwdriver.

Just a heads up to anyone traveling soon. I guess they afraid you'll take the plane apart during your flight.

It was a really sweet wide jaw stainless steel wrench, too.

You can't have tools in the passenger cabin anywhere you fly. That has been the rule for 20+ years.

As ggunn has said this has been universal for years now and surprisingly many countries area actually more strict about carry on items then TSA especially when it comes to tools and Li-Ion batteries. Not to sure why you would try to bring handtools in your carry on.

Additionally no tape, rope, large zip-ties or other restraints.

Li-Ions go in check-in or carry-on? I thought carry-on.

As ggunn has said this has been universal for years now and surprisingly many countries area actually more strict about carry on items then TSA especially when it comes to tools and Li-Ion batteries. Not to sure why you would try to bring handtools in your carry on.

Additionally no tape, rope, large zip-ties or other restraints.

Li-Ions go in check-in or carry-on? I thought carry-on.

Depends on the Li-Ion battery Wh. That is why I said many countries have very strict rules about Li-Ion batteries for both carry on and checked.

I fly through China alot for work and I can tell you for a fact they are like Li-Ion Nazi they if you have any kind of battery in your carry even just a little one they will pull your bag for secondary search and if there is no manufacture sticker on it they will make you leave it with them. Japan is very strict also, and I commonly get batteries checked is Egypt, Thailand, Indonesia, Turkey, Germany but never in the US

They took two little Allen wrenches from me once also. Like I’m a middle aged female MacGuyver and I’m gonna take the plane apart while inside it!!!

They don't know you like we do. The regulations are for what could happen.

Depends on the Li-Ion battery Wh. That is why I said many countries have very strict rules about Li-Ion batteries for both carry on and checked.

I fly through China alot for work and I can tell you for a fact they are like Li-Ion Nazi they if you have any kind of battery in your carry even just a little one they will pull your bag for secondary search and if there is no manufacture sticker on it they will make you leave it with them. Japan is very strict also, and I commonly get batteries checked is Egypt, Thailand, Indonesia, Turkey, Germany but never in the US
Li-Ions go in check-in or carry-on?

Fair answer but we’re in the Mexico forum. I always carry Li-Ions in carry-on. Keep them in special plastic cases to isolate them from one another.

I did have batteries confiscated once at Narita en route to Manilla. CR2s packed properly in check-in bags. Security guy treated them like live ammo.

Back
Top Bottom