Hard to get horizontal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take the fins off and see if your feet still sink?

Many if not most men have legs that want to sink, that said, these are the things that usually cause it to become a nuisance:

1. Being over weighted
2. Hand/arm swimming
3. Being stiff as a board, not relaxed
4. Keeping to much lung volume
5. Not keeping their fins up behind them, instead dropping their knees
6. Yeah, gear and weight distribution

N

You might consider getting fins that are positively buoyant. The fins you have are likely negatively buoyant and this may solve your problem! You can't always find on the manufacturers website whether the fins they have are positive or negative but your local dive shop can certainly help you with that.

5. Not keeping their fins up behind them, instead dropping their knees

This is quite true. If you drop your knees, you're going to go fins down, no matter what else you do with your weight distribution. Good trim begins with good posture, although good posture can't overcome all weight distribution problems.

You might consider getting fins that are positively buoyant. The fins you have are likely negatively buoyant and this may solve your problem! You can't always find on the manufacturers website whether the fins they have are positive or negative but your local dive shop can certainly help you with that.

I think the gray, blue, and yellow twinjets are positively buoyant, the black ones are negative. Hope this helps....

Thanks all! Tried my shoulder weights last night and now I've straightened up and I'm flyin' right.
Oddly, but very pleasingly, I float just right at the surface. I still can't depend on it to keep my face out of the water if I'm unconcious, but if I put myself in the back swim position I stay there. If I do somehow float to the surface unconcious, I'll be face down though, so it ain't perfect. OTOH, lots of bc's have that problem. But down under in the pool, I can hover motionless, helicopter turn and frog kick and all that cool new wave divin' stuff. I say new wave because the first time I learned the bc hadn't even been invented yet, and bouyancy control wasn't even mentioned. Backing up is still kinda awkward though. Practice practice practice...

As a side note, I just scored a vintage mask just like the one I had when I was a kid in Hawaii:

Hopin to clean it up and use it as a back up.

Attachments

• USDiversmask.jpg
    USDiversmask.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 33
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom