Has anybody here been to Scuba Club Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone said it was open last week. The one time we tried, soon after they opened, and picked the one closed day.

Speaking of closed, I heard a rumor KINTA may soon be open 7 days a week during high season at least.

My other problem is I have too many "must gos' on every trip. I am thinking I need to just go for a long trip to fit new restaurants in.

Glad to hear La Terraza is still open.

I know the feeling, cvchief. This trip has people that are new to Cozumel. There *will* be visits to La Choza, La Terraza, Guido's, The Mission, Casa Denis and Wet Wendy's. That's 6 nights worth right there. Add in Ernesto's right across the street which other friends have ***loved***, and that's a whole week.

I keep telling myself that one of these days I'm going to book a 2 week trip, stay at the Pepita or Suites Bahia or something, and eat at a different place that I've never been every night. One of these days....

-Blair

Hey everyone, Thanks for the replies!

I decided to book the trip without the dinner option.

I'm really excited about this trip!

One thing I do regularly is take a cab to a resturant and then walk home. It's cooler at night to walk and fun to find my way home thru the 'hoods.

Great thing about SCC is that it is do easy to walk into San Miguel. Heaps of dining and drinking options, many of the best of which are mentioned above. And you can always grab dinner at SCC out of package if you like. You made the best choice, IMO.

Late to the party, but I have been to Scuba Club twice--once when my son was in high school (Easter) and once when he was in college (early March). Both times we took the full meal package--night dives!--although we walked into town a couple of times to get dinner. A lot of times, we are just too tired to go out and the meals are good at Scuba Club (lunch is my favorite) But there are several really excellent restaurants in town as well.

The last time we were there, it was Spring break and there were lots of college kids around, mostly from the cruise ship, but also some staying on the island. I have my own frat boy, but these kids were horrible and obnoxious--drunk, arrogant, and made me ashamed that they were American.

Have a wonderful time and, if you can, try to get Geiser as your divemaster. He is wonderful--very knowledgeable, competent, and with a true emphasis and value on marine life.

Quick question about SCC. I know they use bigger boats. How do they divide up the groups? Do they drop 12-16 people on top a reef? Do they surface as a group or try to track down 16 drivers surfacing at different times and spots?

Nashwl,

Usually 8 divers per DM (split up with similarly skilled divers). First group of 8 goes... Then the boat will move to a different part of the same reef and drop the second group there. Then the boat follows the bubbles and picks up as divers surface. It can take a few minutes for the boat to get to you, however. I've only had one time that I spent 5 minutes bobbing around waiting for the boat. Which is why it's good to have your own SMB!

I have been on one of the larger boats at SCC when there has been 3 DMs and there is still lots of space. They keep the groups separated on the boat so no one is walking over anyone. shardison is correct you go in one group at a time so as to seperate the divers. We have never had a problem.

Also...we each have our own SMB but have never had to use it (yet). Our DM sends up his SMB with the first 2 divers going up and then we follow along with him and are usually the last or second to last to go up so by then the boat is near-by getting the other 4 divers on board.

I have been to Scuba Club three times now, and have had the opportunity to dive from many of the boats. As Betty says, on the bigger boats you have two or three groups, depending on the number of divers. Each group has a divemaster. Groups are dropped off in succession, with the first group dropped off usually being the first group picked up. On the odd occasion the last group dropped off is the first group picked up, but that is not the rule.

I see most every diver carrying a SMB, but have rarely seen one deployed by other than the divemaster. On of the things I do like is that we dive to our computers. On my last trip one pair of divers was averaging 30 to 35 minutes bottom time, while my buddy and I averaged 60 minutes to a dive. :D If we are the last up, the boat is there waiting for us with little time spent on the surface.

Divegoose

Back
Top Bottom